𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟎

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" I heard Aiden ask from behind me as he and Ethan walked over to me. I was crouched down on the floor, tying my shoelace when they both approached me and I knotted my lace before I stood up and adjusted my shirt.

"You mean in school or in cross-country?" I replied curtly, crossing my arms over my chest as I looked between them both. I hadn't seen either of them in a while and it wasn't by accident either. I was on the fence with my feelings towards them both at the moment. Whether they killed Erica or not they played some part in her death and that was wrong, completely and utterly wrong. I couldn't stand by and be friends with two people who were going to kill my pack. It just wasn't right.

"Both." He shrugged.

"Ah." I nodded, "Well, Derek forced me to take cross-country when I was still human and couldn't run half a mile without practically dying.. and he also forced me to come to school. Yeah, it's apart of this whole guardianship thing.. he's taking it very literal."

"Guardianship?" Ethan asked me then, his brow raising.

Derek and I had gone through the whole guardianship process last week. It hadn't taken us long at all and while Peter was somewhat offended I had chose Derek over him neither of us cared. Peter was an unreliable choice in my eyes and I didn't entirely trust him.

As my guardian, Derek had allowed me to remain off school the week following my dads death but when this morning rolled around he forced me out of my bed and practically kicked me out of the loft and into his Jeep. I didn't want to come back to school but I kind of had to if I wanted to graduate — not that I was entirely bothered about it at this moment in time. School was at the bottom of my list of priorities right now but Derek was forcing me to attend.

I think he just wanted me out of this hair for a few hours.

"Yeah, he's kind of my legal guardian now considering my dad died and and I didn't want my biological father to take that role.. so, if you could refrain from killing Derek I'd love that." I deadpanned.

"Why do I get the feeling that you're annoyed with us?" Aiden asked me as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Annoyed?" I gasped dramatically, "I could never be annoyed with you two absolute idiots."

"I'm loving the sarcasm, Alex, I have to say." Ethan responded.

"How could you kill Erica and then try to use my cousin to kill my other cousin?" I scolded, seething to them quietly as I slapped both of their arms, "You guys have no idea how hard it is for me right now. Derek is basically the only real family I have left and now so is Cora.. so I'd really appreciate it if you didn't try to kill them or the rest of my pack."

"We can't do that." Aiden told me, his jaw clenching.

"But you can." I snapped, "If you don't leave us alone the three of us are going to fall out.. massively. I'm already furious that you killed Erica."

"Deucalion wants Derek to be apart of his pack." Aiden responded, "And by joining ours he has to leave his own behind."

"He has to kill them, you mean." I snapped before I rolled my eyes, "You do realise that I'm apart of that pack, don't you? There's going to come a point where one of you has to kill me. Then what?"