𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟔

AFTER OUR FAILED ATTEMPT TO FIND BARROW we decided to head our separate ways and go home. There was no point in hanging around at school after it had finished .. we wouldn't find him. It was a failed task and it was somewhat disappointing to us all but there wasn't anything we could do about it now. Scott had a dinner to get to at Kira's house and Stiles and I had a whole load of nothing to do. I had hoped that we could relax together but Stiles had no intention of that — he started to pace back and forth the minute we arrived home and he still hadn't stopped.

Lydia had decided to join us at some point after five o'clock and it had since gotten dark. I was reading through my World History text book while Stiles tried to put the pieces together on his investigative board he'd adopted within the last few weeks. It was a little side project for him, a way to keep his mind occupied during the whole 'ajar' situation and he'd carried it on. Currently, his board was almost full with the William Barrow case as he looked at it in silence.

Lydia was laid on the bottom of the bed by my meet, messing around with one of the yarns of string Stiles had for his board while we shared short words of conversation here and there.

"What do the different coloured strings mean?" She asked him after a while of toying with the red ball of string.

Stiles barely turned to her as he mumbled, "Oh, just different stages of the investigation. So green is solved, yellow is to be determined, blue's just pretty."

Lydia's brows furrowed, "What does red mean?"

"Unsolved." Stiles and I quipped at the same time.

"You only have red on the board." Lydia pointed out.

Stiles turned to her then with a slight glare of annoyance, "Yes, I'm aware. Thank you."

Lydia pressed her red painted lips together then before she said, "Did you get detention for pulling the alarm?"

Ah, yes, the pulling of the fire alarm. A good idea on Stiles' behalf to get us out of the basement quickly, a terrible idea when taking everything else into account. Barrow could easily have blown up the entire school and everyone inside of it but he didn't. Coach gave him detention for a week solid though with no time limit either, meaning he could be there for hours after school had finished.

"Yep." Stiles nodded as he looked at his board, "Every day this week. It's okay, though. We were onto something."

"Even though we couldn't find any proof of Barrow being there?" Lydia asked him.

"You've been right every time something like this has happened." I said to Lydia in an attempt to make her feel better, "So don't start doubting yourself now."

Lydia only stared at the floor though, "No scent. No bomb .. and I got Stiles in trouble."

"You were right, Lydia." Stiles said to her, "We all know you were." He sighed and looked back to his board, "I just don't understand how you couldn't catch his scent .. unless.."

I rose my brow curiously as I stared at Stiles' back, "Unless?"

He turned around quickly and looked at Lydia and I and I knew from his postural change that he'd figured something out. He grabbed my jacket from off the back of the door and threw it at me with wide eyes while saying, "Get up."

"Huh?" Lydia muttered.

Stiles took the ball of yarn out of her hands and tossed it to the side as I closed my text book and left it beside me on the bed.

"Both of you, get up. We're going to the school."

"School?" I whined, "Again? That's two nights in a row."