𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖𝟏

ONE MONTH LATER...

MEXICO,

THE DAYS I SPENT SEARCHING FOR DEREK were quick to mould into one—especially when my search had led me to a foreign country. Before I had left Beacon Hills both Deaton and Peter had pointed me in the direction of the Calavera family, a family of hunters within a small town in Mexico. A while back, in the middle of the whole Stiles being the Nogitsune situation, Peter and Derek had somehow been captured by the Calavera family where they had questioned them over a supposed 'she-wolf'. They had always assumed they had meant me until just recently when Deaton told me he wasn't so sure I was the one the Calavera's were searching for. It made sense as to why Derek told me to hide the day the Calavera's broke into the loft but he was wrong.

What had happened that day in the loft was still a blur to me. The Calavera family had come again searching for the 'she-Wolf' and Derek had refused to tell them where I was thinking they were talking about me.

Crazed shouting had followed and gas filtered through my nose and the next thing I knew, I woke up on the floor of Isaac's old bedroom in the loft. When I'd gone down the stairs to see what had happened it was empty, Derek was gone and so were the hunters. I'd found one bullet shell on the ground and I took it to Deaton. That night, I was leaving Beacon Hills.

I had been hanging on to every clue I could get and they were sparse, so when I got wind of a party the Calavera's were holding I knew I had to find my way in.

I didn't expect to not leave that party, however.

By now, the heat and humidity of Mexico had drained the life out of me. I had been overwhelmed by exhaustion and dehydration...not to mention wolfsbane gas and taser guns. Yeah...they hurt, a lot.

When the door of the large, dirty, cell rolled open I barely looked up. My head pressed into the wall behind me as I eyed Severo Calavera as he stood in the threshold, a taser rod in his large hand and a group of four men behind him—all with similar weapons.

A part of me reminded myself that it was because—no matter how much they liked to deny it—they were still afraid of us, of me..of werewolves.

When the taser rod flared to life I shook my head and looked at Servo as he walked towards me, "Please, don't." I begged him, "I'll be ni—" I yelled in pain, eyes screwing shut as my body convulsed and fell against the ground. The electric current travelled through my body and set my nerve endings on fire, rendering me an immobile mess on the floor.

Above me Severo said, "I don't trust werewolves."

I nodded, pressing my forehead into the floor as the pain lessened slightly, "Yeah." I croaked hoarsely, "I got that."

Two pairs of hands latched around my arms and hoisted me up to my feet, dragging me out of the cell and into the dark corridors of the Calavera base. I could hear the pounding of bass music from afar, the intensity of it reverberating off the walls and shaking them. The rumours were true the—Calavera family did like to host parties for teenagers from across state, this was the second one in four days.

I was dragged into one of the many rooms within this maze of a place and dumped on a chair backwards, my stomach resting against the back of it where I slumped forward tiredly. As I felt the sharp sting of metal around my wrist I moved to retaliate quickly, pulling my arm away only to be tasered from behind. The shock left me vulnerable and temporarily unable to breathe. While I tried to recover my hands were pulled into heavy metal chains attached to loops in the floor and I dropped my head against the back of the chair, breathing in nothing but the humid air around me.