The Secret is Out (Kylo Ren x Reader)

"No. No. Absolutely not," Kylo turned to look at you but didn't meet your gaze as he continued to pace the length of his quarters.

"Don't be ridiculous, if I don't go, people will talk," you crossed your arms as you fell back into his bed. As inviting as the silky black sheets were though, you had a job to do... and not even Kylo Ren was going to stand in the way of that.

"Let them talk. You haven't been yourself lately, you're not going," Kylo finally stopped, turning to look at you properly now. His expression was hardened yet you could sense how nervous he was at the thought of bringing you along.

"I'll be fine," you shook your head, standing up and closing the gap between you and the man you loved, "I'm going and that's final."

Kylo's lips pressed into a thin line, and he knelt down to rest his forehead against yours, "I can't protect you out there, Y/N. The Knights already have their suspicions about us."

"What was it you said? Let them talk," you whispered before trailing your eyes down to his pink lips.

"You're still sick," Kylo's voice shook ever so slightly with the newfound proximity between you both. "I heard you this morning in the 'fresher."

"If I was sick, I wouldn't be able to do this," you said before pressing your lips to his. You stayed like that for a few moments before Kylo parted with a sigh.

"Fine, but stay close to me when we're out there."

A few hours later, you were offloading from your ship alongside Kylo and the other Knights of Ren on an enemy planet. Your fingers curled around your blaster and you gave Kylo a quick nod— which you assumed he saw under his helmet— before you disbanded as a group and set off in search of the base you were hoping to raid.

You kept close enough to Kylo, just like he'd asked you to, but remained focus on the task at hand. You'd only just broadened your gap between you and Kylo when a stray blaster fire came shooting from the trees opposite you.

"Run. Now!" Kylo yelled out to you as he inched closer to the spot of the enemy fire.

"Kylo—"

"Now, Y/N!"

But you both knew you weren't one to cower away from a fight. You charged in the opposite direction to what Kylo told you, running straight by him and into the enemy territory with your blaster at the ready.

It didn't take long for you to realise it was a mistake, though. You could see the other Knights scrambling around the foliage in a flurry of blaster fire and shouting that seemed to come from both sides. After several minutes of dodging, firing, and repeating, you spotted Kylo running towards you with an unfamiliar figure close behind his trail.

You could see immediately what was going to happen has the man behind Kylo drew his weapon and aimed it straight ahead. There was no time to warn him, and apparently no time to think either, because the next thing you knew, you were diving in front of your lover to shield him from the laser-like light heading his way. You felt the searing pain shoot through your chest as your knees buckled from underneath you.

You heard Kylo's strained voice yell out to you, the clarity in his tone suggesting he'd removed his helmet. But your vision was blurring at this point and by the time you saw his boots come into clearer view, everything seemed to go black.

You woke up with a raging headache and a dull ache in your rib cage. You didn't open your eyes fully right away, especially once you clocked the all-too-familiar fluorescent lights of the med bay beaming down on you. You remembered exactly what had happened and why you were here. But the fact that you were here, and not dead on some backwater planet meant that you could give yourself a few moments to at least pretend you were still asleep. You were safe, at least.