Protection (Kylo Ren x Reader)

"Y/N? Y/N, where are you?!" You heard Kylo's concerned tone through your personal intercom device.

You rolled your eyes. You knew it was bad idea agreeing to let him join you on what was supposed to your first ever solo mission. "Keep your voice down Kylo, I'm fine!" You whispered harshly, "Just scoping out the West wing, so stop worrying."

"How can I not worry about you, Y/N? You're all I have." He said, quietly this time. Your expression softened as you smiled to yourself. And therein was the very reason Kylo wouldn't let you go on this mission alone. You walked down the narrow hallway, bracing yourself with your blaster held out in front of you. You reached a small opening and began to look around, carefully navigating yourself to make as least noise as possible.

You heard a shuffling sound in front of you and you froze, waiting a few moments before inching forwards.

The silhouette of a man emerged from the dark passage way in front of you and you readied your weapon, taking aim and applying the slightest bit of pressure to the trigger.

"You're okay, it's only me, love," Kylo said, coming out from the shadows with his arms raised defencelessly.

You sighed in relief, thankful you hadn't actually pulled the trigger. You knitted your eyebrows together, "I was doing fine on my own, Kylo "

"I don't doubt that for a second," He said, closing the space between you two. He brought his hand to your cheek and stroked it softly, "But I would rather have eyes on you. This place isn't safe and you know I could never forgive myself if something happened to you."

You opened your mouth to respond but it was cut short by the sound of a blaster being fired at the wall beside you. You jumped, turning immediately to the sound of the source.

Kylo growled a star he stepped in front of you quickly, ushering you to the corner as he shielded you, "Stay behind me," He instructed, igniting his lightsaber.

You tried to move past him, "No, I can handle myself-- this is still my mission!"

But he ignored your voice, standing firmly in front of you, protecting you as the sound of footsteps approaching grew louder.

A group of four men advanced, all armed with weapons that were pointed towards you. Kylo made quick work of bringing them all to their knees in a flurry of movement, cursing as another hoard approached.

"Still think you could've managed on your own?" You heard Kylo's voice in your head.

"You could at least move and let me help you!"

He was standing in front of you still, deflecting the fire of the oncoming blasters with his lightsaber while harnessing the Force to send the attackers hurtling to the ground.

Everything was happening so quickly that you almost missed one solider who had managed to escape Kylo's attack. You quickly noticed the weapon he was holding and watched, as if it were happening in slow motion, the man rise his arm to aim his blaster towards Kylo, who was too preoccupied with fighting off the dozens of others who were coming at you both from every other direction.

You anticipated what was to happen and with a rush of adrenaline managed to push by Kylo just as the man released the trigger of his blaster. You jumped in front of him as the bullet passed into you instead, piercing through your leg with an instant and intense pain.

You heard a scream escape your lips as you fell to the ground with a loud thud.

"Y/N!" Kylo was immediately shouting your name over and over but you felt too weak to respond to him. You were losing blood at a rapid rate and your mind was pure chaos. You just about met his worried gaze, which quickly contorted to a look of rage when he saw your pained expression. You saw a brilliant flash of red light before hearing a loud exclamation, followed by the simultaneous cries and falls of the remaining soldiers. It was just the two of you now, Kylo had made sure of that. He crouched down to you, gripping your arm as he mumbled something inaudable to you. You were feeling numb now as you saw the wound on your thigh. Then, your eyes began to slowly surrender to the overwhelming urge to close them tightly shut, to succumb to the pain.

When you woke up, the first thing you noticed was an intense throbbing in the back of your head. The memory of you hitting it on the concrete floor came back to you instantly and though it hurt, you were glad the fall hadn't impacted  your recollection abilities. Though your body felt awfully painful for just a fall... At that thought, your eyes darted across the room and you soon realised you were in the First Order med bay.

You smiled slightly as you saw Kylo resting in a chair beside you. His hand was entwined loosely in yours and his head was leaning on the side of your bed.

Slowly, you moved your hand from his and reached to stroke his hair. You winced slightly at how stiff the limb felt. Soon, he began to stir and you brought your hand back to rest on your lap.

His eyes went to you straight away and you noticed his own were bloodshot. He had been crying.

"Y/N," He said sleepily. He shot up, "Y/N? Y/N, you're awake," You could hear the relief in his voice, "I've been so worried--"

"Kylo..." You tried to sit up in your bed and you felt a shooting pain rip through your thigh and up your torso, you cursed as you fell back on to the bed.

"Y/N, my love, don't try and move," Kylo said as he stood up, putting his hand on your forehead, brushing away the strands of hair on your face. He looked at you carefully, studying your face as if it were the first time he had seen you in a while.

"Kylo?" You croaked, trying to reach your arm up towards him. He held on to your hand, kissing it gently, "What...what happened?"

"You saved my life, Y/N... And you almost lost yours in the process," His voice faltered slightly as be sat back in his chair, still holding on to your hand. "You took a blast for me. After all I did trying to keep you safe, I... I couldn't protect you, Y/N. I'm so sorry," He broke down and you felt your own eyes begin to water at the sight of him so devastated. You had never seen him like this before.

"P-please don't be upset. Look at me, I'm still breathing aren't I?" You hummed as the memory of being shot suddenly returned to you. Your leg stung almost as if it were in response to the realisation.

"Y/N, you almost died because of me–"

"I chose to take that blast for you, Kylo. And I would do it again a million times if it meant saving your life," You told him.

"Don't say that," He moved his head closer to yours, and you gently wiped away his tears. He sighed, resting his hand on your cheek as he buried his head in the crook of your neck, "If that blast had just hit you any higher... I wouldn't have forgiven myself," He echoed the words you remembered him saying to you the day of the mission.

"Well I'm here now, and I'm safe."

"No thanks to me."

"S-stop that talk," you said firmly, "I would've surely died if you hadn't been there. Besides, I know you would have been the one carrying me out of that building Kylo. You would have been the one who brought me back to the base and to the med bay, who's probably stayed here by me this entire time," You said, noting the dark circles under his eyes, "I'm alive because of you."

"You're too good to me, Y/N," Kylo smiled sadly.

"No, you're too good to me," you reassured him.

He pressed his forehead against yours, "I love you," he said as his lips brushed over your neck before planting delicate kisses along your jaw. Finally, he reached your lips and met them with his own gently.

You smiled when you parted from him, "I love you too, Kylo."