Siren's Call 3

The siren panicked and swam down as far as she could. When she felt safe, she went to reach for her treasure bag but was shocked when she reached it for it, only to grab her fin. She looked up at the light reflecting off of the water above and pouted. She found so many pretty things this time too!

She didn't want to go home, but she couldn't go back up to the shore either. Not with those monsters up there. She had heard wicked stories of demons and men and what they did to siren and mermaids. She was a siren but pretty much the only one still in existence. Most were wiped out by demon sailors to get revenge. She was an infant when the war broke out and was hidden by her family. The mermaids raised her as one of their own, which explained her sweet, yet shy temperament.

Not long after the war, the great Leviathan fell from the Heavens and took reign over the seas. It was peaceful during his time, but she was too young to remember any of it. When he left, the terrible squid people took over. She didn't know what they were really called, nor did she care. They were wicked and their leader? The feared Cthulhu. He had taken over the capitol and enslaved her people. As she grew, he took a liking to the young Siren and kept her with him inside the palace as his personal slave, but she hated him with a passion and tried to run away as often as possible. She didn't care what punishment he would give her. All she wanted was her freedom and happiness.

She still had a few hours before he would awaken. She could go back now to ensure her safety... or... she could go back up to the surface to feel the warmth on her skin and to get her bag back, but she had to make sure the coast was clear first.

She swam up slowly, trying to see if she could hear the mumbling of the loud white-haired idiot that had scared her in the first place. Once she breached the surface, she hid behind her favorite rock and slowly peeked out. No one was there now. They must have gone as fast as they had come. 'Good! Now I can take some time to relax before going back to my personal hell.' She swam over to the shore to retrieve her things but they were gone, she frowned. She found a really cute land puppy figure. She liked it a lot. She had seen a land puppy before. It was early one morning and a young demon had been on a jog with his. It got loose and swam out toward her and tried to lick her face all over. She started to giggle and pet the creature. It was soft to the touch and wiggly, but when the owner came in after it, she swam away. Ever since then, she really liked land puppies.

She liked a lot of things from the dry land. She loved the craftsmanship of their building that she could see in the distance, the fashions she saw in magazines left too close to the beach, she tried to take one back with her once, but it seemed to disintegrate in the water. Oh and the dolls with their little china faces and their little feet. She loved those the most, the majority of her dolls were made of shells and grasses, so when she found a human doll on the beach, she took it home right away. She still had it but after years of water exposure, the glass began to smooth away and she wasn't much more than just a lump of rounded glass now.

Sometimes she wished she could sprout legs and walk in the sands, play in the streets, run in the rain, smell the flowers, try the food, but she felt sick after thinking such things. Those monsters killed off her species and the humans still hunted mermaids for sport and proof of mythical beings. Luckily, most demon seemed to protect the mermaids now, but there were still some bad ones left from the old times before the Great Leviathan. She sighed as she lifted herself onto her flat rock and closed her eyes to listen to the sounds around her. The peace of it all made her feel at ease. She often forgot about the terror down below, even if it were only for a short amount of time. 

Levi sat on the cliff above as he watched his little siren pop back up to the shore. It was best to stay at a distance for now. He didn't want to spook her away for good. Not when he had so many pretty things to give her. He just watched in silence as her beauty took over his mind and her lovely singing voice filled his ears. He hoped he'd be able to meet her soon. Maybe if he tried hard enough she would talk to him instead of running away. 'Baby steps' he thought to himself.