Backstory: Raphael & Ester

**Ages are human equivalents. They are like Luke in a sense that he is "equivalent" to 12 but actually much older**

Ester was 3 when Raphael first met the little princess. He was 8 and was in training to be a guard. Unfortunately, training began at a young age and those who trained to be guards did not have much of a childhood. Raphael was a little rebellious at a young age and he and Ester would get into mischief. When Raphael was 10, he was in charge of taking care of Ester. He found her wandering by the gates of the Celestial Palace. Ester was not allowed out beyond the palace walls just yet. She was too young and she was heavily protected. "Ester, what are you doing here? You know you're not supposed to be anywhere near this gate!" He scolded. "I wanna go see, Angewica and Tomas got to go!" Ester pointed over the gate at the balloons that were floating in the air. "I know, but you're too young to go beyond the gates." Raphael softened his voice. He felt bad. Ester and her little sister Elaina were always left behind, while the older siblings always got to go out in the rest of their world.

"Hey, tonight is the Winter Solstice! That means it will become night in the Celestial Realm for a whole week! That's always exciting, right?" He tried to change the subject. "I guess so... But it's always the same. All the old people just stand awound the fire and talk bout boring stuffs." Ester mumbled. "How about we build our own little fire and we can have these!" Raphael pulled out a bag full of human food! S'mores to be more specific. "Wow, Waphy! Yeah! I want some!" Raphael laughed as the little angel's face lit up. He grabbed her hand, hid the package under his coat, and led the princess back to the palace. Human food was contraband in the Celestial Realm but Raphael had his ways. He wanted to make sure that the princess was happy.

Night fell and Raphael took Ester to a small fire away from the crowd. He took out the bag and waved it toward the little princess. "These are called s'mores. Remember, you can't tell anyone about these! Okay?" He asked. "Yes, yes!" The princess agreed. The look on the princess's face when she took a bite of her first S'more made Raphael smile brightly. He only wanted to make her feel better about being so small and sheltered. "What is this!? What are you doing?" It was one of the guards and he was angry. "This is forbidden! Raphael, you know better! You two, come with me!" He scooped up the princess, who was now crying, and pulled Raphael by the arm.

"Please, it was my fault! She didn't know! She's too little to know any better." Raphael begged. "I know. The princess is not at fault her Raphael, she is going home with her brother, Caleb. You, however, knew that this was forbidden and did it anyway!" The guard lectured. "Now, now, let's not be too harsh. Raphael is still a child after all." It was Michael who spoke up. "Raphael, you are growing up now and these childish stunts have to stop. You are training to become a guardian. Now is the time to be serious. No more games, no more disobeying or we will have to relieve you of your duties. Do you understand?" Michael asked. Raphael nodded.

The next day, Ester found Raphael by the fountain in the courtyard with one of his trainers. "Waphy, Waphy!!" She waved but Raphael didn't look happy. He didn't wave back. Instead, he looked away and was ushered off by his trainer. The princess frowned and tried not to cry. She was a big girl and she wanted to be strong. Especially since her new nanny and little sister were with her.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

It had been over a week since the young princess had seen her best friend. Today there was a ceremony to end the winter solstice festival and Raphael was looking after Ester once more. "Pssst... Waphy, Waphy... I miss yoouuu." Ester whispered, but Raphael stood still at attention and remained quiet. "Waphy, awe you mad at me?" She frowned. "No, Ester. I'm not mad, but you need to be quiet." Raphael warned. "But Waphy, I wanna play. This is boring." She sighed as she twirled around. "Ester... Stop now." He heard a sniffle and then a whimper. "Ester, p-please don't cry..." He whispered, feeling bad for losing his temper. "Nooooo, your meeeaan!" She squealed then she ran off. "Ester, wait! Come back!" Raphael raised his voice slightly, but not too loud to interrupt things.

He was about to go after her when he felt a hand on his shoulder. "It's alright, Raphael. I will get her. Stay here." It was Lucifer, one of the seraphim. He had a calming aura and he could always defuse a difficult situation, especially with the little ones because he had several young siblings of his own.

Lucifer found Ester behind some bushes, holding her little handkerchief to her face. "Hello, little princess. Are you okay there?" He kneeled and place his hand on her shoulder. "N-no Waphy was m-mean to me. He doesn't like me anymore." She sobbed, deciding to clutch to Lucifer's robe. "That's not true, Ester. Raphael is just working. He has a job to do and he has to take it very seriously or he will get in big trouble. You don't want that to happen, do you?" Ester shook her head. "Good. Now, don't worry, and let's get back to the ceremony. There's going to be fireworks. The sparkly kind. I know how much you like those!" Ester nodded lightly and Lucifer scooped her up in his arms. She buried her face in the crook of his neck and hugged him. They got back just in time for the fireworks and Ester's face lit up.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

As Ester and Raphael grew up, they had gone their separate ways. Raphael trained harder, got stronger, and became a top warrior in the Celestial Realm. He had a reputation behind him. He was strict, cold, fearless, determined. Some people called him mean or scary, but those who really truly knew him knew that he was benevolent and had a kind heart.

Ester had finally been accepted to train in the outer city. She could finally leave the palace gates and begin her training as a healer like her older sisters Angelica and Cordelia. She had grown into a wonderful young lady. She was as sweet as apple pie and as beautiful as a rose. She saw the good in everyone and had a nurturing soul. Perfect for a nurse.

"Are you ready, princess?" A young man approached her from behind. "R-Raphael? Is that you?" She asked, not quite sure. They hadn't been able to really see each other in years. He was very tall and handsome. "Yes. It's lovely to see you again. I will be escorting you to the infirmary. Are you excited to go into the city? I know it's been your dream since you were a little girl." He smiled fondly at her now in her teen years, remembering the days when he would find her wandering here. "I am very excited! Today is the day! I can't believe you remembered that." She gushed. Her smile was everything and he was awestruck at how it made his heart leap. "Well, let's go then! Guards, open the gate!" This was the moment Ester was waiting her whole life for! She would be starting a new chapter in her life and she couldn't wait!