Siren's Call Part 14

"Why did you transform into your dragon form? Was it because of me?" Maris asked. "Hm, partly. I wanted to protect you and felt like I couldn't. I also think it happened because I was so ashamed of myself. I was meant to rule the seas of Devildom and I abandoned the place meant for me. I abandoned the people and found comfort in becoming a hermit, like a coward. Because of me, your home was taken from you. The people suffered and I had no idea. I should have been there to protect everyone. My head flooded with those thoughts during that fight. I knew you were hurt, I knew our people were hurt, and it was all my fault." He explained. "Our people." Maris smiled. It was like he was accepting his water demon side more. Understanding that he was meant to be with them.

They back to the city to help clean up after the battle. Everyone cheered as they saw Leviathan come over the wall with Maris. Two statuesque figures were standing in front of the crowd. "Mother, Father!!" Maris cried out. She swam to them swiftly and hugged them both tightly. 'The King and queen of the Underwater city were Maris's adoptive parents!?' Levi thought frantically. She had never mentioned that before! He knew them well. In fact, he gave them the position because he knew they would be great leaders under his watch. Before he abandoned them and the Underwater City, he had heard that they had adopted but he didn't realize it was Maris they had taken in as an infant.

Leviathan wondered what they would think about everything that happened since then. He expect anger but to his surprise, the king and queen bowed to him. Soon everyone followed and they were all bowing to the Great Leviathan. "Maris..." Leviathan beckoned her over. "Why are they doing this?" He asked. "Because you are the true king of the seas. You always have been and always will be." She answered. "But I left them to suffer." He added. "You came back, you're a legend and our savior. My parents and the rest of our people are so very thankful and so am I!" She finished.

"Raise!" Leviathan ordered the people. He had to remain calm. He had to act like the Leviathan he was before. The people did as he said and waited for him to speak. He told them that he was sorry for disappearing on them. He was back now and he would always watch over them. He would make sure no harm ever came to them again. Maris smiled brightly as she saw the awkward demon she had first met disappear into a strong, confident being. He had come so far and she was proud.

Leviathan and Maris helped the people of the city clean up the streets. Leviathan was extremely strong and helped clean the rubble from the streets and helped put buildings back together. Afterward, the king and queen threw a banquet in Leviathan's honor. The feast wasn't what they would have wanted, but after a battle, it was what they could do. Leviathan thought it was unnecessary, but he didn't dare to argue with Maris about the issue.

They praise Leviathan for his bravery and strength. He felt very uncomfortable until Maris emerged. She was dressed as royalty and she looked absolutely immaculate! Her hair was woven in intricate braids. She wore a headdress made of beautiful shells, pearls, and rare crystals. The water-protected chains held a moon charm that hung to the middle of her forehead and shone the brightest gold. Her fins were embellished with jewels and chains that matches the headdress. She looked so different and full of life. He wanted to make sure she looked that happy every day for the rest of her life. "You look gorgeous!" Leviathan purred as she took a seat next to him at the head of the table. "Thank you. I'm not very comfortable though." She sighed. "No? Well, I think royalty suits you." Maris blushed and looked away from Leviathan. He seemed confident now and very flirtatious. She liked it, a lot!

Everything went off without a hitch and the king and queen welcomed Leviathan. "We are sorry, but your lair had been destroyed by Cthulhu a long time ago. The castle is yours to stay as you please until we can prepare one for you." The king said. Leviathan was surprised. He wasn't even sure he was going to stay. He planned on going back to live at the House of Lamentation and to come to the underwater city to check in more often, especially because of Maris. "I am thankful. Your hospitality is above and beyond, but I do not wish to come back. Not fully at least. I can and will protect you all but not from here." Leviathan replied. Maris slammed her hands onto the table. "What do you mean you aren't staying!?" She cried out. "Maris! Do not speak to The Leviathan that way!" Her mother scolded. "No... Leviathan, what do you mean!? You said you'd protect us, you said you'd protect me! What about us!?" Maris was so angry. Her face was red and she looked like she was holding back tears. "Maris... I..." He reached for her cheek but she pushed his hand away and swam out of what was left of the dining hall in a flash. "Maris, wait!!!" Leviathan yelled as he too sped off.

Maris swam as far as her fins would take her before Leviathan caught up to her. She made her way into a room that looked like an art gallery. "Maris, please listen to me." Leviathan sighed. "I will come to see you all the time! I just can't abandon my family, my friends, and my home. I'll visit you every day. You can come up to see me at the beach and I can come down to see you. I'll stay with you some nights. It will be okay!" Leviathan explained. "No... I want you to stay here as you promised!" She snapped. "Maris, I didn't say I was going to come back permanently. I said I'd take back my position of being the ocean's protector, which I can still do." Maris shook her head. "No. I want you to stay with me, Levi... Please..." She looked so sad and defeated. "Why?" He questioned. "B-because... Because I'm scared! I've had nightmares every night for years because of everything I've been through. You make me feel safe. I don't want to be by myself. I don't want to be without you close by." She admitted.

Maris's outburst broke Levi's heart. He thought back to the night she first stayed in the Lake at the palace. He had stayed behind to watch after her and she had that terrible nightmare back then. Did she have those all the time? "I am in love with you, Leviathan. Every day you're away from me, I get lonely. I don't know when it started but every time you would leave the lake, I'd get sad. I didn't know what to do next. I just wanted you to be back." She confessed. A true confession too. She was making it very hard for him to say no to her. He was in love with her too. "Maris... I love you, I am in love with you too. You've changed me for the better. I'll stay for now, but who knows if I will change my mind later. You'll have to deal with that." He told her. That was good enough for her. She knew she would make him want to stay forever. She tackled Leviathan to the sandy floor. She hugged and kissed him over and over. Leviathan tickled her with his tail and the couple laughed until their sides hurt. They were the happiest they had been in a long time. Leviathan felt like he belonged in his own skin again and Maris was free to live happily again.