Another Life: Realization

Cordelia woke up the next morning in a haze. Wasn't Lucien supposed to be beside her? She looked over at the bedside table next to her to see a note.

"I'm sorry, darling. I have been pulled away to the office. Please, make yourself at home. In the drawer next to you is a menu for a diner down the road. They deliver and have excellent food. Order whatever you'd like and tell them to put it on Lucien's tab. I'll see you later."

She smiled and stretched out in Lucien's king-sized bed, remembering the night they shared. She took it as a good sign that they had slept together and he didn't kick her out the next morning. Maybe she would take the day to relax in luxury. She usually liked to keep herself busy and away from it. It wasn't like she didn't appreciate it, but she didn't really get along with the other people her age. She didn't like their snooty personalities or their designer handbag parties. The way that they all had their little clique at the country clubs. She would rather hang out at a coffee shop, maybe read a book. Being with Lucien made her feel different about it. Not the snooty, clique part but the country club outings and the fancy dates. She felt like he was showing her off and at first, it felt wrong and silly, but the more he invited her places, the more she got used to it.

She dragged herself out of the soft, warm bed and ordered some chocolate strawberry waffles from the diner. She walked to the big set of windows in the bedroom that overlooked the backyard. There was a pool, hot tub, fire pit. She scoffed as she took a sip of her orange juice. She felt like enjoying life like this would make her less than what she was, that it would make her more like one of those country club girls. She was starting to come to the realization that it wouldn't. It was the person you were on the inside that counted and Lucien made her feel that.

She took a shower and put on one of Lucien's button-downs while she washed her clothes. 'If only I had a swimsuit.' She thought to herself. She decided to skip the pool for now and focused her attention on exploring the mansion. She had already seen the master suite and the living room so she decided to start in the kitchen. It was huge and had every appliance you could think of. She loved it. She enjoyed cooking and if she and Lucien continued to see each other, she would love to cook there sometime.

She made her way down to the dining room, some spare rooms, and finally Lucien's office. The door was wide open. There wasn't much to it. Just a big wooden desk, a china cabinet with different liquors inside, a big chair in the corner, and a record player with an impressive vinyl collection. She wasn't going to delve too much into his stuff. She didn't want to be that girl, so she just scanned his desk to see what he was working on. It looked like just the usual business stuff. His business seemed to be taking off well which was good. She knew a thing or two about logistics and it seemed that the business was more than stable. She was about to exit when she saw a picture with a bunch of guys with Lucien. She wondered if these were his brothers. She noticed the guy with the purple hair, holding some sort of game. There was a blonde that looked less than happy to be there, a redhead with food stuffed in his mouth, and one with dark hair that was asleep and drooling on the redhead's shoulder. "Yup, definitely his brothers" she giggled quietly to herself.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Lucifer went down to his home office before he left for work. He wanted to make sure he hid any evidence of him not being who he said he was. He knew she was going to snoop around. Why wouldn't she? Women seemed to always be suspicious of him. It didn't help that he was lying. He needed to be careful. After a thorough sweep, he decided it was safe to leave. He felt bad for lying to her specifically, he really liked this one and even thought about telling her the truth but decided it wasn't the time.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Lucien: How are you enjoying the house?

Cordelia: It's beautiful. Can I cook dinner for you tonight? I kind of raided your fridge. I found some stuff I could work with.

Lucien: Oh, that would be lovely. Thank you.

Cordelia: Of course. You have already done so much for me. This is my way of saying thanks.

Lucifer set the phone down next to him in his office. He let out a little sigh. He didn't understand why this woman made his heart beat out of this chest as it did. Was he really falling in love with her? She was a human. She would be there one day and gone the next. Would it be worth it to have a relationship with someone who would age ten times faster than he did? For some reason, this woman had taken over his mind and his heart. He should have gone home long ago, but he was still here... For her. He pushed off work that needed to be done back home and pushed his family and friends farther away to keep his secrets... For her. Would it all be worth it in the end? Could he truly say he loved her?

Yes, yes he could! He hopped up from his chair and realized he wanted to be with her. This work was menial, he could do it at home. He wanted to spend the day with her. Another full day, the whole weekend. Ballet, botanical gardens, and now a lazy day at home with the human he truly loved cooking him a homemade meal. That's exactly where he wanted to be.