ix. a civil dinner

Previously,

"Ferret!" Iris called.

Draco looked over and sighed knowing what she wanted.

+x+

"You summoned me dearest Iris?" Draco asked sarcastically.

Iris smirked and made space for him.

"Are you daft? I'll get murdered here, love," Draco sighed.

"Draco sit your ass down before I turn you into a ferret." Draco grumbled and sat down.

Half the hall sat there in shock. Iris shrugged and started putting food on his plate.

"Go back to your table Malfoy! We don't want a slimy snake at our table!" A red head named Ronald or Ron―which Luna told me― growled at Draco.

Iris narrowed her eyes at him. Draco opened his mouth to make comment back but Iris spoke before he could say anything.

"Draco," Iris said coldly.

She turned and looked at Ron.

"I'm sorry if we're bothering you but I wanted to sit with my friends. All of my friends. Isn't that what this tournament is about?" Iris glared.

He shrunk a bit from her glare but responded anyways, "Yes it is. Like I said before, we don't want any slimy snakes or Loony Lovegood here!"

"Fine."

Iris got up with Draco and Luna following and walked over to the Slytherin table. Shortly after, the Gryffindors that we were sitting with― and the ones that were around them ―followed over.

When Harry sat next to Iris, she looked over at the head table. Severus was looking at Iris with pride, Lily Potter was looking at her, fuming and red and Dumbledore was looking at her with annoyance but with an attempt with a twinkle in his eye.

She rolled her eyes and started talking with the Weasley Twins. Iris noticed that Harry and Draco were trying to act like they hate each other but we're failing; Dean and Seamus talking to Blaise like it was a normal occurrence.

Iris chuckled out of nowhere, making Luna look at her with a knowing look.

"Miss Krum, it is against Hogwarts rules that any student attending Hogwarts ― excluding guests ― should be sitting anywhere but their respected tabl-" Iris cut her off.

"It's no where in the rules Mrs. Potter. I've read the rule book and it does not say anywhere that students can't sit at any other table besides their own. In fact, people only think that because no other student has ever done it, hence why everyone thinks its a rule they must follow. All because its simply never been done before," Iris replied. "The only rule that ever says anything remotely close to what you're talking about is for the entrance feast, the exit feast ceremonies and holidays/festivities. That's is the only time you are required to be seated at your respected table."

The whole Great Hall looked between the head table and Iris, mouths agape.

"And how would you know this Miss Krum?" She asked harshly.

"Before she started Durmstrang, there was a debate whether she attends here or Durmstrang between our parents and her godparents. So, since she didn't know she read both rule books and school books," Viktor answered for Iris, accent thick.

Lily looked at her with annoyance before conversing with Severus, which he looked annoyed. Students were still looking between the both of them before quickly getting up and sitting with their friends at other tables.

From across the hall, Iris could hear one of Harry's friends, Hermione Granger ― which in fact he really doesn't like ― 'whispering' to Weasley about how what Iris said was all wrong. She rolled her eyes and continued eating.

+x+

"Luna, fancy going to the ship's bathroom with me?" Iris asked like a true British person.

Luna giggled and everyone around them looked at them weirdly. Iris winked at them and left the hall with Luna following.

"So, why do you think Harry wanted us to go into the bathroom with the egg?" Iris asked.

"You'll find it'll play a nice sound," Luna replied dreamily.

Iris looked at her confused but didn't question it.

"Iris!" Viktor called.

"Not now Viktor I already know what to do for the egg," she called back dismissively.

Viktor sighed and caught up with them and walked with them in silence.

"Bathroom. . . But why did you bring the girl with you?" Viktor asked.

"She happens to be my friend and I just felt like bringing her along, now Viktor, please leave us alone so we can figure out the egg. And don't say I can't have help because you know the others and you had help," Iris stated coldly.

Viktor sighed and left.

"Now, lets dump this egg and our heads in water, my dear," Iris smiled at Luna.

"You sounded like Dumbledore," Luna scrunched up her nose. Iris suppressed a shiver.

She opened the egg and it started screeching.

Still not used to the screeching noise, she dropped it into the water. Luna had immediately dunked her head in. Iris rubbed her ears then her eyes widened in realization. She wasn't thinking and put her whole body into the water.

Come seek us where our voices sound.
We cannot sing above the ground.
An hour long you'll have to look, to recover what we took.

Luna and Iris took their heads out of the water and looked at each other.

"There isn't merpeople in the lake are there?" Iris asks.

Before Luna has a chance to answer, something is scratching at the window. The answer was at the window.

"Now I just have to find a way to breathe under water for an hour, great," Iris mutters sarcastically.