xxxiv. a flirting pink toad

It was September 4, 1995, the actual first day of Hogwarts classes. Lucky for Iris and Manuel, they had every class together.

Breakfast went by too quickly for their liking and Manuel was dreading their first class. Potions. His once experience — soon to be many — with Severus Snape was unpleasant.

Once they arrived in the classroom, Manuel was relieved that they weren't the first people to arrive. The class was with Hufflepuff with a mix of a few Slytherins. The classroom was quickly filled and settled down when the bell rang.

The door slammed open, startling the a few Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. Severus walked in, his cape bellowing behind him.

"Groups of four," he drawled out. When no one moved, he glared at the class, "Move!"

Everyone moved quicker than lightning, afraid of the greasy-haired man's wrath.

Iris and Manuel remained together with a blonde girl and a dark skinned boy; both Slytherins. Once everyone was settled, he swished his wand and instructions were written. Polyjuice Potion.

"This is what you'll be brewing for the next month. Begin," Snape ordered bored.

"You get the Knotgrass, I'll get everything else," the dark-skinned Slytherin said and Iris complied.

The rest of the class went by smoothly and Iris learnt the names of the two Slytherins: Daphne Greengrass and Blaise Zabini. They're both quiet but nice and easy to work with.

+x+

It was the last class of the day, Defense Against the Dark Arts and Iris was intrigued to see how this class would go. Manuel, who had heard what happened with Umbridge and Harry Potter, was a bit skeptical of the course.

Umbridge was sitting at the front of the class with an unpleasant smile. The disgust looking at the children was very present in her eyes. Once everyone was seated, The Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were in a quiet chatter. Umbridge glared but didn't say anything. Footsteps quieted the fifth years.

"Good afternoon class,"  Tom greeted, waving his wand and words started to appear.

A scatter of 'Good Afternoons' were said.

"When a Professor or someone of higher power greets you, you should all respond with "Good Afternoon Professor Sewlyn" or "Good Afternoon!"" The shrill voice of Umbridge screeched.

"Dolores," Tom drawled. "I would like to teach my class now."

"But To- Professor Sewlyn! I'm trying to-!" She protested. He responded with a pointed glare that shut her right up.

"Copy what's on the board and open your books to page five and start reading," Umbridge ordered. Everyone did just that.

"So Tom," Umbridge purred not so quietly.

The students looked up, looking disgusted. He hummed in response, not looking away from his book.

"What's your favorite drink?" She asked batting her eyelids excessively.

"Liquid."

Some students snorted quietly with that answer.

She huffed in annoyance and tried a different approach; she touched his arm. Iris narrowed her glowing gold eyes. Then suddenly, a gust of wind knocked her away from him.

Giggles were heard across the room. Tom looked at Iris and raised an eyebrow at her gold eyes. He made a note to have her stay back.

"Who did that?!" She screeched. When no answered she walked out of the classroom, red faced.

Everyone went back to reading but there was quiet chatter around the room. Soon enough, the class was over and everyone hurried out.

"Miss Potter-Black, please stay behind," Tom called. Manuel looked at her with a questioning look but she waved it away.

"'Ello Tom," she greeted.

"What was that? The glowing gold eyes?" Tom cut right to the chase.

"Trick of light probably," she shrugged off nervously.

She forgot her eyes did that when she was mad.

"It wasn't a trick of light, love. Now what was it?" He pestered.

"Mors what the hell do I say?" She asked but there was no response.

"Fuck," she cursed out loud.

"Language, Iris." Iris glared at him. "

Grindey, how do I respond to the gold eyes question?" She questioned the old Dark Lord.

"Genes of Grindelwald."

Tom stared at her intently while she was silent.

"Probably the Grindelwald genes."

Tom didn't believe her but she would tell him eventually.

"You and Mister Scamander seem close," Tom pointed out, a hint of jealousy in his tone.

"We're both exchange students and in Ravenclaw," she shrugged not catching the jealousy.

"I would like to tutor you in Defense. Meet in my office after dinner," Tom said in hopes of using the time to get to know his soulmate better.

She nodded with a questioning glance and left with a soft 'goodbye'.

Author's Note:

Please don't take the tutor thing dirty! Tom is like sixty or seventy something and Iris is fifteen! That time is purely meant for them to get to know each other!