xxxi. the new dada teacher & a pink toad

When Manuel sat down next to Iris he looked at who was across from her, Luna.

"Hey, you're that girl who said that prophecy. . . right?" He asked.

Iris quirked an eyebrow at the two. Luna nodded with a dreamy smile on her face.

"Nargels get going near Alistir but it never made it onto Alistir," Luna said. Iris face hardened.

"Dumbledore," she whispered bitterly.

"What does Dumbledore have to do with. . . Nargels?" Manuel asked, looking at Luna weirdly.

"Dumbledore was shooting compulsion spells to Alistir during our sorting, which attracts the Nargels, Manuel," Iris explains, looking him in the eye.

They just stared at each other and Luna had a dreamy look on her face.

Tom was watching the exchange between the two with jealousy boiling inside of him. He wanted to walk over and rip their heads apart from staring at each other.

Tom wanted to kill Manuel for having a staring contest with Iris. He didn't like the feeling of jealousy. He was relieved when they looked away from each other to pay attention to the sorting.

"Roberts, Micheal!" McGonagall called.

Micheal walked up timidly to the stool and looked over at the two fifth years he met on the boat. Iris gave him a thumbs up and he felt much calmer.

The hat was placed on his head and it shouted, "HUFFLEPUFF!" The Hufflepuff table cheered loudly.

The hat was taken off of him and he walked over to the Hufflepuff table with a smile. Iris and Manuel were cheering loudly for him.

"I'm adopting him," Iris whispered to Luna and Manuel.

"He's adorable, I can't see why you wouldn't," Luna stated.

Once the sorting was over, Dumbledore stood up to address the students.

"Good evening, children," he greeted. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Kettleburn. . . who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures. . . while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave," Dumbledore announced.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. . . Professor Tom Sewlyn. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck," he said as Tom stood up. Claps were heard around the hall.

"I would also like to welcome Hogwarts' newest addition to the staff. Professor Delores Umbridge. Her post. . . High Inquisitor of Hogwarts. . . but she'll be teaching as Assistant Professor to Professor Sewlyn," Dumbledore said. "Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you. . ."

"She was at my hearing. She works for Fudge," Harry whispered to Hermione and Ron.

In the middle of Dumbledore speech, Umbridge cleared her throat, "Hem Hem."

She walked over to where Dumbledore was standing.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright. . . happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends," she smiled fakely.

"That's likely," Fred whispered to George. The people around him laughed.

"She looks like a more insane Dumbledore," Manuel muttered, making Luna and Iris chuckle.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered. . . the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster. . . has brought something new to this historic school. . . progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved. . . perfect what can be perfected. . . and prune practices that ought to be prohibited," she finished.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge," Dumbledore clapped, the staff slowly following through. However, the students didn't clap. Most were whispering about her.

"Brilliant. I wonder how corrupt our learning courses will be this year," Iris said making the Ravenclaws stifle a laugh into their hands.

"The Ministry. . . it's corrupt here isn't it?" Manuel asked.

The surrounding Ravenclaws nodded, rolling their eyes while putting food on their plates.

"Brilliant," he remarked sarcastically.