glow's all gone

TW ~ Drowning, Strong Words, Slight Blood

1 week later

Third Person's POV:

When Tommy woke up that morning, he hadn't expected all three of the people that took him in to be leaning over his sleeping body.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" they smiled in unison, as Tommy rubbed his eyes.

"A what?" he asked, sitting up on the bed and raising his hands. Dream picked him up.

"The day you're born, you're birthday."

"Why is it a happy day, who'd be happy that I was born?" Tommy said stifling a yawn, and Dream froze.

"Well, we appreciate you, Tommy, so we are happy you're born," he said carefully. Dream hated when Tommy said things like that because although Tommy acted like it didn't bother him, he didn't want to push it. It hurt Dream to hear how casually he says those things.

"So do I get candy?" Tommy asked excitedly.

"Even better... cake!" George said, trying to match his excitement.

"What's that?" Tommy asked, his smile growing bigger and bigger every second.

Dream whispered "Awe" under his breathe after seeing Tommy's smile.

"It's like bread, but sweet like candy," Sapnap said awkwardly. It had been a month but Tommy knew he still didn't want him here.

"Candy bread? For me?" Tommy pouted like he was going to cry.

"Do you not like candy bread?" George asked worriedly.

"Thank you!" he let out, small tears trickling down his cheeks, hugging Dream and burying his face into Dream's neck.

"Hey, hey Tommy, that's not all that happens on your birthday" Dream said, after realizing Tommy's tears were from happiness.

"More?" he whispered hiccuping.

"Presents, we got your gifts!" Sapnap threw in small jazz hands.

"Gifts for me?" Tommy whispered in shock.

"Yes Tommy, for you," George said, motioning for Dream to hand over Tommy to him.

"I'm twelve, George I don't need to be carried he said," yet not letting go of Dream.

"Whatever you say bud" George chuckled, bringing three gifts from behind his bed.

Each was wrapped differently, one was blue, one was green and one was orange.

Tommy could already tell who gave him which.

Obviously, he reached for the green one first.

He tore open the wrapping paper without care, tossing the shredded paper to the floor. Inside was a box, and inside the box was a wood handle adorned dagger. The blade was a dark black, and the handle was a dark oak wood, with bright red jewels on it.

Dream looked sheepish. "Listen, Tommy, you need to be very careful with that, but it's just for your protection."

Tommy immediately realized what Dream meant by that, his thoughts wandering back to that day.

George quickly noticed what was happening, and snapped Tommy back to reality. "Open my gift next!"

"Thank you Dream" he grinned, putting the dagger in his jacket pocket.

Dream cringed, worrying that the dagger would accidentally stab Tommy, and rethought if giving a dagger to a twelve-year-old boy was smart. Then he shrugged.