the letter

TW ~ Eating Disorders, Mentions of blood

When Tommy stepped through the portal and was met with the warmth he recognized from when he was younger, his body shook.

Well, he was here. When he stepped through the portal, the shadow had disappeared, and he had expected someone to be at the portal waiting for him, but never mind that, he'd be just fine on his own.

Traveling through Hell, his eyes caught on some of his personal landmarks, ranging from the pit where his neck was slashed, the cliff where the man in the white bandana had scarred him for life, the place he was beaten up by the four older demons that picked on him almost every day.

Then he came across his house.

When he walked towards the small hut lying in the front of the king's courtyard, he smiled, leaning against the doors filled with memories.

He didn't care if they were bad memories, because they were still a part of him.

But upon further inspection, he noticed a small note taped on the door. You could tell it was old, the paper torn, and faintly yellow. Tommy carefully untaped it from the door. It was a note. Addressed to him?

He read it to himself slowly.

To the sweet and amazing boy who lived here:

Just thinking about you, of how you are probably dead, how you probably don't remember me. I'd never forget you, you meant the world to me in the short span of time I'd known you. Controlling my powers has always been extremely difficult for me, and I must have lost my power at the worst possible time to have to be feeling this down. Tommy, if you're reading this, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for all the pain I put you in. When you heard that I wanted to betray you, I had half a mind to teleport out of this stupid present and go back to the past, to tell myself how much of a blessing you'd have been to me. You don't have to forgive me, in fact, it would probably be in your best interests to not forgive me, but if your alive Tommy, I know you're alive, I can feel it. If you're alive, and your reading this, please come to the king's court, please I literally beg of you I think I might die.

With full love and a hopeful heart,

Your friend and brother, Dream.

D r e a m.

The name hit him heavily. All of a sudden, memories started rushing back to him, at all uncontrollable rate. All the good times, all the bad times. But instead of shadows, it was them. His friends. His first ever family. 

Sure they'd hurt him physically, but Tommy could tell it was an accident, the memories of the sobbing demon trying to convince Tommy it was a mistake. All the days he'd come to visit, even though Tommy wasn't there personally.

He saw Dream, but in third person. How he'd cried when he saw Tommy's body was gone. How it was those exact times he visited the tree, that Tommy had seen Dream's shadow lurking around before it was replaced with Big Q's.

He missed him.

He missed Dream.

And he wanted him back, at least for a moment. He couldn't live as he did on Earth. Call him a spoiled child but all Tommy wanted was for someone to love him, for someone to tell him that he mattered.

This note had done all that and more.

Tommy picked up the torn photo he had of himself, the one where Dream had been ripped. He remembered this day, the day he first saw a camera.