9 - 𝙞 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙠 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙢𝙮 𝙪𝙣-𝙩𝙖𝙡𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙙-𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙨

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"You're late," Aquila tapped her foot on the floor.

"By, like, five minutes," James rolled his eyes.

"You don't see Professors being late to classes, do you?"

"You don't see me making you call me Professor, do you?" he countered.

She scoffed. "As if anyone could make me call you, Professor, Potter."

James winked. "I can try."

Aquila shuddered, and took out her Transfiguration book.

- - -

"How," James clutched his hair. "How can someone be so ridiculous at Transfiguration?"

Aquila, too, seemed miserable. "You promised me help, Potter, please don't leave me hanging."

"What's your wand type? What are its subject predispositions?" he questioned.

"Yew wood. Favoured to Potions. Coral core, predisposed to Charms," Aquila said.

"Doesn't Professor Flitwick have a Coral core?"

"Yes, he does," Aquila said proudly.

"From what i know, Regulus isn't too bad at Transfiguration. Why don't you take help from him? James asked, putting his head in his hands.

"Because he is the one i may not be able to win a duel from," Aquila admitted.

James raised his eyebrows. "You think you can beat me in a duel?"

"I'm not sure, but I think you will find yourself equally matched with me."

He scoffed. "That's not possible. I'm only second in Defense, second to Evans only, and that's because she swallows the textbook."

"That's the Gryffindor in you speaking," she said, not looking up from her book.

He smirked. "You know what? Let's see. You and me, duel, tonight. The unused Charms classroom. Yes?"

Aquila eyed the hand he extended gingerly. "No, thank you, Potter. Some other time, maybe. I'm not entirely inclined towards detentions."

A glint entered his eyes. "All I hear is quitter talk. Afraid mummy and daddy will get a letter?" he said in a mocking voice.

Her eyes flashed a red tint, which went as swiftly as it came. "You don't understand what you're talking about, Potter. I'm sure you're wonderful at Defense, but I know I'm unbeatable at attacking. So you can take that duel of yours and shove it up your arse, because i'm not particularly fond of dragging egoistic fourth years to the Hospital Wing."

James did not look perturbed, amused, if anything. "Do your eyes always get a little red when you're angry? You looked very dragon-y," he said, putting his chin on his hand.

Aquila touched her eyelids gingerly. "R-red? What are you -" she swallowed. "What are you on about, Potter?" she snapped.

James raised his eyebrows, suddenly looking serious. "You don't know? Your eyes went like, blue-grey to reddish-blue and back to blue-grey," he sat up straight.

"Stop joking around, Potter. This isn't funny," she said, as if begging him to say he was joking.

"I'm really not joking, Blackie."

She rubbed her temples. "I hate it when Regulus is right."

"Right? Right about what? Have your eyes ever done that before?" he asked.

"It's -" she sighed. "Nothing to concern yourself with. Thank you for telling me, and for your notes. I will see you here tomorrow."

She began to grab her stuff when James stood up in front of her.

"Where do you think you're going? You can't just tell me half a mystery. C'mon, Blackie," he said, stopping her from packing her books.

"It's not a mystery. I already know what's happening, and the only person who can help me right now is my brother. So excuse me, Potter, but I'm sorry for not adding to your mystery novella," she said, and stuffed all her notes and books inside her bag.

He watched her leave from the aisle they were sitting on. "Fine. Leave. But I'm sure Sirius wouldn't be much happy when he finds out you both are hiding stuff from him."

She paused. "He wouldn't be happy, but he wouldn't be surprised, either. I will, however, ask you to keep this to yourself."

"What will I get in return?" James said, folding his arms.

She turned around. "Isn't the fact that I'm studying and performing an advanced charm for your stupid pranks enough?"

"Nuh-uh. The payment for that were the Transfiguration lessons. What will it be for this favour, Blackie?" he asked.

"Tell you what, Potter," she said, leaning forward. "You keep this secret, and I'll let you walk away from this library without having to drop in to see Madam Pomfrey. You aren't doing me a favour. If you tell this to anyone, I will make your life a living hell," she snarled.

James leaned back, seeming impressed. "Oh lookey here. The snake has teeth, gentlemen," he smirked. "Tell you what, Blackie. I'll keep this little secret of yours, but you'll owe me one."

She looked at him incredulously. "Did you not hear a word I just said?"

He let out a small laugh. "Oh, I heard it alright. I just have trouble taking you seriously."

He walked away with his hands in his pockets. "I'll see you at the same time tomorrow, yeah? And try to read up a bit," he called out. "I have quidditch practice," he gave her a final wink, a wave and he was gone.

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

i highly doubt this was how awkward adolescent teenage boy james potter behaved but meh

we are getting to the good part!

im trying to focus more on aquila and her powers and her relationships with everyone around them, with james flirting to establish himself every now and then, and then after sometime we'll get to the baby-making

lol no im kidding no need to get ideas into your head

basically, it's gonna be a slow burn.

once again, i wanna thank you all SO MUCH for voting, reading, commenting and just being awesome in general

much love :* 

hy