44 - 𝙤𝙝...𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙧.

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Regulus moved so fast James barely saw him until he was crouched down where Andromeda had put down Aquila. Andromeda herself seemed unharmed, but she still stumbled slightly when she set Aquila on the carpet in Dumbledore's office. James also saw the Sorting Hat behind her, and wondered what it did throughout the year. Maybe the Marauders could steal it sometime.

James was also aware that he tended to focus on the less stressful things in a stressful situation. It was a bad habit, and made him a not so steady support in a difficult moment, but all James needed was a moment to gather himself-

Oh, dear, Aquila looked rather pale, didn't she? Is she breathing or is she-

Oh, no, no, no. James was not thinking down that line. Aquila was alive, she was alright, or was going to be in a moment or so.

"She's not moving, she's not moving, why isn't she moving, Siri?" Regulus sobbed on the ground, holding Aquila's head in his lap. Andromeda was leaning over in her chair as well, trying to get a look at the huddled group. Professor McGonagall was softly muttering spells under her breath and waving her wand to heal some of the minor bruises while Madam Pomfrey was on her way. Regulus was holding her hand and was whispering something under his breath while Dumbledore was deep in discussion with one of the portraits.

James approached the group but refused to look at her. There were a hell lot of things James was scared of, and seeing Aquila hurt was taking priority right now.

"Make her wake up!" Regulus snarled at Professor McGonagall. She pursed her lips and looked at Professor Dumbledore, who nodded. She cast a silent charm, and Aquila's eyes shot open.

"Aq?" Regulus said softly, cradling her head in his hands and helping her sit up.

Aquila turned around and whipped out her wand, making everyone but Regulus flinch back from her. "Wha-? Where am I?" she gasped, shaking her head from side to side.

"We're in Dumbledore's office. You're safe," Regulus whispered, putting a hand on her back. Aquila seemed to relax, but only slightly. "And- what about - ?" she couldn't complete her sentence, but gestured to her left arm without looking at it.

Regulus clenched his jaw. "We'll get through this, Aq. We always do."

"Mr. Black, please allow Madam Pomfrey to escort Miss Black to the Hospital Wing," Dumbledore said, setting a hand on Regulus' shoulder.

Regulus shook his head vigorously. "I'll take her back to the dorms. There's- there's got to be something I can do. I'll do it. I swear I'll do everything."

"Reg, let them take care of her," Sirius said hoarsely. "You two can't do everything on your own."

"And who else do you suppose has been doing everything for us then, Sirius?" Regulus hissed, not letting go of Aquila. "You left at the slightest sign of trouble, remember?"

Aquila reached up a hand to shut Regulus up, but the damage had already been done. Sirius had turned whiter than before.

"That's not fair," he whispered, shaking his head as he backed away. "You saw what happened."

"And what?" Regulus snarled now, standing up, his eyes flashing dangerously. "You think it didn't happen to us? You think only brave little Sirius Black from the Gryffindor house was tortured? Are you really that naive, Sirius?"

Sirius looked like he was going to faint now. James knew that while Sirius was aware that his siblings were tortured throughout the break, and Sirius beat himself up for it more times than James could count, but hearing it from your own siblings was a different thing.

"Regulus, enough!" Aquila said firmly, more strength in her voice than a moment ago. "We agreed not to discuss what happened, and we know that it wasn't Sirius' fault!"

Professor McGonagall, Professor Dumbledore and Andromeda Black had been witnessing this all from the sidelines. Out of the three, only McGonagall looked a little paler than before. Now, Madam Pomfrey stood up from where she had healed all of Aquila's other injuries, but James couldn't bring himself to look at the dark brand on her left forearm.

Regulus abruptly stood up. "You're right, my apologies, Sirius," he said curtly, his mind clearly somewhere else. "Now, I'd like to be escorted to the Hospital Wing with my sister, if you all don't mind."

Apparently, Aquila had used up all her strength in scolding Regulus because this time, she spoke weakly. "I don't know what you're thinking, Reggie, but don't do it," she begged.

Regulus' face, however, was cold and determined. "The Hospital Wing, Madam Pomfrey. Potter, if you could assist my sister."

James hurried over to Aquila who was slumped against the wall without Regulus' support. He smiled softly at her, as she put her arm around his shoulder and he put his on her waist.

"Hey, Quilly," he whispered into her ear. Aquila said nothing, just wound her arms around his neck and buried her face in his chest. "'S'alright, love. I'm with you. We're all with you."

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

this one is very short bec i wanted the ah, exciting part in the next chapter

bit of a cliffhanger, if you will

hy