48 - 𝙬𝙖𝙧? 𝙣𝙤, 𝙙𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚.

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

The time had come for the batch of 1977 to finally graduate from Hogwarts.

To have one last hurrah, the Hogwarts staff had organised a dance for the sixth and seventh years. Boys and girls were running around, looking for dates, and Aquila was exiting the Charm's classroom when she saw the seventh year Gryffindors coming out of their Transfiguration class.

James, Sirius, Remus and Peter were walking side by side with Lily and another girl Aquila didn't recognise walking some distance behind them.

"Hey, James," Lily called out over the voices of other students. Miraculously, the hallway quieted down, making Lily turn almost as red as her hair, and James turned around, scrunching his nose.

Rowan turned to face Aquila, who was trying to calm her thumping heartbeat. Rowan raised a brow as Regulus stepped on his foot, giving him a warning to shut up.

"Yeah?" James asked, raising a lazy brow as all the Marauders turned around to face Lily and the other girl.

Lily fiddled with the strap of her bag. "I was wondering if you'd like to go to the Graduation Ball with me," she said boldly. The whole hallway was enveloped with a pin-drop silence as everyone awaited James' response.

James opened his mouth, but Remus sharply poked him in the stomach and whispered something, making James' face lose all colour. "Y-you mean like a date?" he asked tentatively. At Lily's nod, Remus' smile turned triumphant and if possible, James whitened even further.

Apparently, Lily thought he was being nervous, and aw, he was feeling shy, but no, James just seemed to be dreading giving his reply.

"I'm flattered, Evans, I really am, but I, uh," he began, a sheepish look on his face. Aquila wanted to facepalm at his eloquence. James searched through the crowd until his eyes made contact with Aquila's and the sheer nervousness in them made Aquila smile. Loosening up a bit, the crowd watched with interest as James turned back to Lily. "The boys and I are all planning on going without dates," he blurted out, making the three boys shoot him alarmed looks.

Suddenly, a cry rose from within the crowd. A sobbing girl came forward and slapped Sirius. "You asked me to go with you!" the girl cried. Sirius cupped his cheek and flexed his jaw, glaring at James from the corner of his eyes. James offered a sheepish smile in return. One of the girl's friends gave Sirius a death glare and a middle finger, and guided her away.

"Oh," Lily remarked after the outburst, looking to her friend for support. "Then maybe the last Hogsmeade trip of the year?" she asked hopefully.

"She's setting herself up for disaster, I swear," Rowan muttered to Aquila, who cracked a smile.

"WE'RE GOING THERE TOGETHER TOO," James shouted unnecessarily loud in the quiet hallway, grabbed the sleeve, collar and hair of his best mates and dragged them away.