16 - 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚 𝙞 𝙩𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙧𝙪𝙩𝙝 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙣𝙤 𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙨 𝙢𝙚

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

James did not know what possessed him to threaten his best mate's sister that way. His interactions with Aquila were limited until last year, and he had no intentions of having it any other way, but good pranks required a good sense of people and direction, for which they desperately needed the map, which they had christened 'Hogwarts - A Mystery' (quite cleverly, they felt).

But when he heard the little Slytherin make snide comments about his best friend, all he saw was red, which did not cease until he was sure no one else besides the nosy twins knew Remus' secret. He couldn't exactly say anything else to her, not because he was sure she was very talented in a duel, but because they still needed her and her clone to help make the map. James had seen them in Charms, and even though it pained him to admit it, he knew she was absolutely amazing. But as amazing as she was at Charms, she was that much terrible at Transfiguration, which was just icing on top of the cake as it took a lot of effort for the girl to swallow her pride and actually admit it.

Now, nearing Christmas, he knew they had to meet up, and meet up soon to discuss the fate of the map. The group of six had met up earlier, but it just resulted in loads of arguments between the twins, James and Sirius, each one more proud than the last. So now, James was strolling down to the dungeons to take Regulus and Aquila and hold a proper meeting.

"You stupid arse! I told you to let it simmer. Not grab the stirrer like it's fucking cake batter!" came the annoyed voice of Aquila Black from the open door of the Potions lab.

"Now, now, language, Aquila. I'm sure we can reverse its effects," Slughorn said quite calmly, considering the reddish-brown slime that was on his undoubtedly expensive robes.

Aquila huffed with her back to the door. "Reverse? Reverse its effect? Sir, we shouldn't have to do that because this daft boy cannot listen to instructions."

"Alright, shut up. As you can clearly see, Potion Princess," Regulus said, putting the title in double quotes, "it's not as per the instructions, but stirring decreases the sitting time of the potion. If you want to be here all night to add the stewed mandrake centimetre by centimetre, then you're welcome to reverse the effect."

Indeed, the potion had turned the green colour it was required to be, which was prime time to add the stewed mandrake. Aquila pushed Regulus away, which prompted the boy to push her back, and before the scuffle could proceed any further, James stepped into the room.

"Evening, Professor. Can I borrow Regulus and Aquila?" James said, pushing further into the dimly lit room, nodding a greeting towards the Black twins.

Slughorn turned towards Aquila with a raise of his eyebrows that made Regulus chuckle.

"No, I swear, I'm not failing Transfiguration. Potter has been helping me, actually. Innit, Po- James?" she said hurriedly, casting a charming smile towards James at the end.