23 - 𝙬𝙖𝙩𝙘𝙝 𝙢𝙚 𝙚𝙢𝙗𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙨 𝙢𝙮𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙚 23𝙧𝙙 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"James!"

"Aquila!"

"What are you doing here?"

"Why are you ignoring me?"

The sudden silence at James' question made him want to hit himself upside the head. To get some sense in.

Clearly, that wasn't happening anytime soon.

"I haven't been ignoring you, James. What are you talking about?" Aquila asked, feigning confusion.

James narrowed his eyes. He knew a lying Black sibling when he saw one. He didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable by calling her out on her lie, but when has James been known to listen to his conscience?

"You're lying," James stated, not asked, because it was a fact that she was lying and both him and her knew it.

Aquila scowled. She hated when people knew when she was lying.

"What makes you think I am?" she challenged.

"Because you were ignoring and avoiding me, not just 'not talking by chance'," James pointed out.

"Have you maybe thought that you're overthinking eye contact, Potter?" Aquila said, putting her hands on her hips.

James smirked. "Who said anything about eye contact?"

Aquila groaned. Why, oh why, could she, for once, think before speaking? By whatever power lay in the universe, why would a situation not be in her favour ever?

"Fine, you've caught me. Would you like some grand confrontation?"

"An explanation," he swallowed. "I would like an explanation."

Aquila stared at him. She had not expected him to outright ask her that, and now that he had, she had none.

"I-" she paused. "I don't have a very good explanation, to be honest. At first I thought this wasn't some stupid romance novel but then, I don't know, I think I'd like it to be? But I don't think it can because one, we're very young, two, we're very different, and three, we've talked a grand total of five times and never a civil conversation," she breathed out.

"Who says we have to date, Blackie?" Aquila flushed at these words, clearly not expecting the rejection. "No, no, no, no, I meant, who says we have to date right away? I think we can be friends first, and then see where it goes from there," he ended the sentence with a question mark rather than a period.

"Yeah, but, we're not going to be your typical friends, you know that, right? I can't sit at your house table, can't talk in crowded hallways, can't invite you over to my house for Christmas, can't come over to yours, can't accept presents from you, and it's just," a breath, "going to be a very complicated thing."

James looked confused. "I understand all the points, but why no presents?"

"Aunt Druella has a habit of sneaking around the house. She likes to mess with everything and then rat out about it. I could get in some huge trouble for this sort of thing," Aquila frowned.

"Well, then, I think you're right. We - we can't do this. You go your way, and I'll go mine, and if we're meant to, I think I'll meet you there," James said, looking at his hands.

Aquila set her jaw. He thought he was someone everyone was just dying to be friends with, yeah?

"Well, fine then, Potter. Have it your way. I'll try not to make our paths cross," she said defiantly.

James' jaw dropped to the ground. "That's it? You won't even fight for our soul connection? Our deep bonding? I'm very ashamed of you, Aquila."

Aquila took in a deep breath. "I will never even pretend to understand the sack of dust bunnies you call your head. Ever had it tested?"

"Oh my god, your face. You thought I was - oh god, Blackie, I'm not one to forget people that easy. I mean, c'mon, yeah? We just started something new, and you're thinking I'll break it off because of Christmases and presents? I don't mind not seeing you for Christmas or not getting you presents. I think I'll need a reprieve from your ugly face anyway," James laughed.

Aquila stuck her tongue out at him. "How do your shoulders carry that massive head of yours, anyway?"

James let out a loud laugh. "I think we're going to be wonderful, wonderful friends, Aquila Black."

- - -

"Psst, Reg! Oi!"

Regulus carefully peered into the corridor from which the voice was coming. All he saw was a head of black before he was dragged into the corner.

Andy. Regulus let out a sigh of relief.

"Hey, Andy, what's with the kidnapping?" he asked.

Andromeda Black, cousin extraordinaire, looked around before speaking. "What does Aquila think she's doing, hanging out with James Potter? Does she want to get killed?"

Regulus stiffened. "What business it is of yours who Aquila is hanging out with?" he asked coolly.

"Narcissa saw them together in the courtyard the other day. Don't think she's going to forget it. She's going to use it as blackmail and get Aqi stuck in a situation she won't be able to charm her way out of," Andromeda said tersely.

"Well, thank you for your concern, but we know what we're doing."

"Do you really, cousin?" On seeing Regulus' face turn cold, she amended. "I'm just saying, tread lightly, Reg. And tell Aquila to, too. Just -"

Regulus mumbled something.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Andromeda questioned.

"You said too-too," Regulus said with barely suppressed laughter.

Andromeda straightened to say that she had been saying something serious, but then stopped. Dark times were coming, and perhaps it was jokes like these which would bring light. She simply ruffled his hair and gave him a small smile with a warning to be careful, and set towards the dungeons to confront her sister.

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

tell me someone got the 5sos ref in there

TELL ME YOU GOT THE REFERENCE

anyway, i am largely confused. 1) now that my exam are cancelled (YAY!) what the fuck do i do? and 2) should i write an original fic (like not an ff) or should i write an ff for cassian (from a court of mist and fury)

dear readers, please answer this question of mine and i shall forever remain indebted to you.

and please vote, comment, share as much as you can (or as much as you want to) but i love you still

much love,

hy