№47|My Most Precious Thing

◆ ━━━━❪✪❫━━━━ ◆

Medusa stormed through the entrance of Dewei’s house in a fit of rage. “How dare he!” She shouted, throwing her notebook and recorder onto the couch. “How dare he make me choose between you and my research!”

“Medusa, just calm down.” Barron attempted to soothe his beloved mate, but there was no calming her down in this state.

“Don’t tell me to calm down, Barron!” Medusa snapped, her snakes hissing at the alpha. “How do you expect me to calm down when we’re in an impossible situation?!”

“It’s not impossible.” Barron rubbed her forearms, smiling at the researcher. Even though he was smiling on the outside, he was just as worried and angry as Medusa was.

His parents' lives were on the line, as well as Medusa’s research. No matter what he’d choose, he would lose someone he loves.

He stroked her hair, her snakes hissing softly at his touch. “It’s not impossible,” he placed a small kiss on her nose, “nothing is impossible.”

“Barron…” Medusa looked down at her feet, “my entire life’s work is in that book… I know you love your parents, but I can’t give up my research.”

“That’s why you won't have to give it up.” Barron replied, lifting up Medusa’s chin. “We’ll find a way to get my parents back without anybody losing anything.”

“That’s what makes this impossible.” Medusa escaped his grasp, walking over to the couch to pick up her notebook. “No matter what happens, someone ends up getting hurt.”

“That’s to be said about any situation.” Barron wrapped his arms around her. “We’ll get through this, Medusa.”

“And you know this how? If I don’t give up my research and if you don’t give up the packs your parents will die, Barron! You almost lost them once I can’t be the reason you lose them again!” Medusa scolded, clenching her notebook.

“I don’t know what he wants with my research, or with the notebook for that matter, but I can’t give this up to him.” Medusa held the notebook close to her chest. “I can’t let all their hard work go to waste!”

“Their?” Vanessa asked.

“The other people who wrote in this book. I can’t let their knowledge go to waste!” Medusa exclaimed. “I know it might be selfish, but I’m not giving up my knowledge.”

“You won't have to, Medusa.” Barron assured her, turning towards the group. “Nobody is giving up anything. We’ll be getting my parents back. That’s a promise.”

◥✥◤

Vanessa watched as Malakai sat on the edge of the bed, looking down at his hands in utter silence. Ever since they returned from the meeting, Malakai had been as quiet as a mouse, which irked Vanessa til days end.

“Malakai,” Vanessa crawled over towards the warlock, wrapping her arms around him, “what’s wrong?”

“What?” Malakai snapped out of his deep thought, smiling up at Vanessa. “Oh… just thinking…”