№22|Dreams

№22|Dreams
◆ ━━━━❪✪❫━━━━ ◆

The pitter patter of honey glow tanned bare feet walking against the hardwood floors echoed throughout the halls of the Banik Compound. 

Soft fingers ran through unruly chocolate brown hair as the young woman – barely 21 – passed by Alpha’s office. She peaked inside to see her mother, Chaaya Adabi – the head beta and temporary Alpha until the Alpha got better – talking with her father, Ishaan.

Chaaya had a disgusted look on her face. “I don't want to go to crummy North America.” She pouted.

“We need to go. It’ll help us find a cure for the Alpha and her mate.” Ishaan kissed her cheek, coming up behind her to wrap his arms around her. “It’ll also give us a chance to see the twins again.”

“Bhaiyā and Didi? (Big brother and Big sister?)” The young woman yawned, rubbing brown her eyes as she stood at the doorway. “Are we gonna visit them?”

“Yes.” Chaaya stood up from her chair, walking over to the younger woman. “Dalaja, you should go get some sleep.”

“I couldn’t sleep. My room is too cold. I got up to get blankets and heard you two talking about Alistair and Ayame.” Dalaja said, her mother passed her a blanket.

“Yes, we’re going to their pack tomorrow for a summit meeting.” Chaaya rubbed Dalaja’s shoulder. “Now go get some rest. Tomorrow I want to talk to you about some potential mating options for you. I already have 3 men lined up. I’ll have an omega send you the profile I have on them in the morning.”

Dalaja sighed softly and walked back to her room. “I’m sure they’ll be great mothers…” When Dalaja entered her room, she threw the blanket on the bed.

She plopped down on her bed, the sound of laughter from the courtyard making her turn towards the window.

She watched as her friend, Bimala, and her mate, Ayaan, walked onto the courtyard. Bimala laughed rather loudly, holding onto Ayaan’s arm. “Let’s go dancing~”

“We just came from dancing, my love.” Ayaan swooped her up, carrying her bridal style. “Why did you insist on doing shots when you’re a lightweight?”

“Because~” she trailed her fingers along Ayaan’s chest, “aren’t I just the cutest when I’m drunk?”

Ayaan kissed the top of her head as they reached the entrance of the compound. “You’re cute even when you’re sober.”

Dalaja sighed softly. All of her friends found mates so quickly – heck, even her little cousin had a mate and she was 8 – which made cold nights like these all the more worse.

Certain times of the year, the compound would get so cold at night the two thick blankets she wore on nights like these weren’t enough. Normally, you would have your mate to keep you warm, but since Dalaja was unmated, she would have to suffer the cold nights alone.

It was on nights like these where Dalaja truly felt alone. Where she felt like nobody would understand her… not her parents… not her siblings… not her friends… nobody.

Tears trickled down from her brown eyes. She clutched her pillow closet, sobbing into the soft, fluffy headrest..

After hours of crying, her body and mind finally drifted off to sleep.