Chapter 82

Remus and Jenna exited the kitchen, leaving Sirius behind as they made their way toward the slightly crooked staircase. With each step that they took, the wooden floor beneath their feet gave a cracking noise.

      Jenna felt terrible for Remus, knowing that because of his condition, nobody would give him a decent job. She had no idea how he was actually paying for food, and could only imagine how hard it must have been for him to afford everything.

     Remus's mother had passed away years ago due to her illness, but his father was still alive. Although knowing Remus, Jenna was certain that he didn't want to bother his father and couldn't ask him for financial help.

Jenna felt worried about Sirius too, because he was acting highly unlike himself that night. But she didn't really blame him; the news of the war approaching them was traumatizing to everyone. And the thought of returning to his childhood home and being locked up there like another prison must've made him frustrated.

"Lumos," Remus muttered after taking out his wand from his robe, lighting the way as they walked upstairs.

There were only two bedrooms on the second floor, and Remus led Jenna to the one on the left. A cracking sound was let out when he opened the door, revealing the inside of the room. The only furnitures inside were a queen sized bed, a small closet in one corner and a dusty mirror in the other.

"Dumbledore said you and Sirius will only have to be here for another day or two, until he's made sure of all the safety measurements at Grimmauld Place for making it the new Headquarters," said Remus as Jenna walked inside the room, looking around. "So in other words, you won't have to tolerate this place for too long."

"Hey, it's not that bad." Jenna grinned at him, shrugging. "It's an adventure, if you really think about it!"

Remus chuckled. "How is it an adventure, exactly?"

"Well, I guess people should try sleeping in different places," Jenna tried to reason jokingly, just to cheer him up. "I mean... who would want to stay at a five star hotel their whole life? We've got to experience new things!"

Remus laughed, shaking his head at her in disbelief before smiling. "It's good to see you again, Jenna."

"You too, Moony." Jenna grinned back.

"So... um... I'll just leave and let you get some rest. The bathroom is down the hall. Let me know if you needed anything," he said, backing toward the doorway. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Remus," said Jenna before he closed the bedroom's door, leaving her alone in the quiet room.

Although Jenna didn't go to sleep straight away. She kept awake, leaning against the window's glass and staring at the plain ahead, drowned in the darkness of the night.

      So lost in her own thoughts she was that Jenna didn't even notice how fast time was passing. All she could think about was Harry, and wether he was safe or not. Dumbledore had explained to her that as long as he stayed at where Lily's blood dwelled, then he would be protected by his mother's magic. But despite all these, she still felt worried for him.

Jenna then went and sat at the edge of the bed, deep in her thoughts and waiting for Sirius to join her upstairs. But he didn't show up even though at least two hours had passed.

      So giving up at last, she took off her shoes and got under the bed covers, trying to rest her eyes for a bit. Although no matter what she did, Jenna couldn't get herself to fall asleep.

Huffing to herself in exhaustion, Jenna got out of bed and opened the bedroom door quietly, stepping outside. She then walked downstairs, assuming that Remus and Sirius were both probably still awake, talking.

But once she got down and entered the living room, Jenna took aback when she found Sirius alone. He was sitting on the couch with a glass of Fire Whiskey in hand, staring into the empty fireplace.

"Where's Remus?" she questioned in a low voice, walking toward him.

"He went to sleep about two hours ago, some while after you," Sirius replied, taking a sip of the Fire Whiskey.

  "Then why didn't you come upstairs?" Jenna asked softly as she sat beside him on the couch. "I really missed you."

She then leaned forward, placing a gentle kiss on his cheek, hoping that he would turn his face and press his lips against hers, but Sirius only sighed.

"Sirius... what's wrong?" Jenna finally asked, having had enough. "You can talk to me, you know."

"It's nothing..." Sirius mumbled, avoiding her eyes.

"Well, it clearly isn't nothing," Jenna muttered, watching him warily with concern. "Sirius —"

"Leave it, Jenna!" he suddenly snapped at her sharply, catching her off guard.

Jenna stared at him in shock, watching as his face fell, as though just realizing that he had shouted. But he didn't say anything and remained quiet, tearing his gaze away from her.

"I'll wait for you upstairs, then, if you felt like sleeping," Jenna whispered, trying to keep her saddens to herself and swallowing her emotions up. She didn't want to pressure him into talking.

Jenna then got to her feet, walking back upstairs and closing the bedroom door behind her. Letting out a shaky breath, she leaned her back against the door, realizing how fast her heart was beating.

Trying to shake the thought away, she just climbed back to bed and got under the sheets, laying on her side as she closed her eyes and tried to get some sleep.

But not half an hour had passed that she suddenly heard the door to the room open slowly, as Sirius stepped inside and closed it behind him afterward.

Jenna kept her eyes closed even though she was facing the wall and though Sirius couldn't see her face. She could hear him taking off his shoes and then his coat, before getting under the blanket beside her on the bed.

Jenna still didn't open her eyes and kept on pretending that she was sleeping. Although she could feel that he was awake, probably staring up at the ceiling the way he always did whenever his mind was troubled.

But Sirius suddenly broke the deadly silence when he whispered, "I'm sorry I yelled at you."

Jenna didn't reply. For some reason, there was still a hint of coldness in his voice and his apology didn't sound wholeheartedly and sincere. So she just kept her back to him with her eyes closed, even though he knew that she wasn't really asleep.