Chapter 64

The moment Hedwig flew into the common room when Harry opened the window, he hastily took the letter from her and sat down to read, whereupon Hedwig fluttered onto his knee, hooting softly.

"What does it say?" Hermione asked breathlessly.

The letter was very short, and looked as though it had been scrawled in a great hurry. Harry read it aloud:

Harry —

I'm flying north immediately. This news about your scar is the latest in a series of strange rumors that have reached me here. If it hurts again, go straight to Dumbledore — they're saying he's got Mad-Eye out of retirement, which means he's reading the signs, even if no one else is.

I'll be in touch soon. My best to Ron and Hermione. Keep your eyes open, Harry.

Jenna felt her heart lurch. This was an old letter. She didn't know why it was taking Sirius so long to get here and she missed him thoroughly. Although she was mostly worried about him being caught on his way to Hogwarts.

Harry then looked up at Ron and Hermione, who stared back at him.

"He's flying north?" Hermione whispered. "He's coming back?"

"Dumbledore's reading what signs?" said Ron, looking perplexed. "Harry — what's up?"

But Crookshanks suddenly leaped up in surprise when Harry hit himself in the forehead with his fist, jolting Hedwig out of his lap.

"I shouldn't've told him!" Harry said furiously.

"What are you on about?" said Ron in surprise.

"It's made him think he's got to come back!" said Harry, now slamming his fist on the table so that Hedwig landed on the back of Ron's chair, hooting indignantly. "Coming back, because he thinks I'm in trouble! And there's nothing wrong with me! And I haven't got anything for you," Harry snapped at Hedwig, who was clicking her beak expectantly, "you'll have to go up to the Owlery if you want food."

Hedwig gave him an extremely offended look and took off for the open window, cuffing him around the head with her out-stretched wing as she went.

"Harry," Hermione began, in a pacifying sort of voice.

"I'm going to bed," said Harry shortly. "See you in the morning."

And with that, he got to his feet and went up the boys' dormitory. Hermione and Ron stared back at each other in confusion, having no idea what had just happened.

Jenna knew what had gotten Harry so worried. He thought that it was his fault that Sirius was flying back here. But Jenna knew that it was necessary. His scar had hurt him through summer, which meant that something was wrong.

If it were up to Jenna, she would've wanted Sirius to stay away and leave things to her, so he would be safe. But knowing Sirius and how stubborn he was, she knew that there was nothing she could do to stop him.

***

Soon, a rush of excitement went all around the castle when it was announced that the two new schools were arriving. Jenna had sneaked out of the Gryffindor common room in her cat form to join the others in welcoming the new guests, mostly because her curiosity was killing her and she was bored.

     They saw the Beauxbatons fly down to Hogwarts in a carriage carried by beautiful flying horses, and saw the magnificent Durmstrang ship pull out of the Black Lake.

     Although Jenna was caught off guard when she found out that Igor Karkaroff was their Headmaster. All those years back, there were words about Karkaroff being a Death Eater, which explained why Dumbledore had asked Moody to come to Hogwarts for teaching this year.

     The air of excitement lingered around as the students who wanted to join the tournament went to put their names in the Goblet of Fire the following day, everyone impatiently waiting for the champions to be chosen.

      Jenna awaited everyone in the common room the next night, eager to know who the selected champion for Hogwarts was. She secretly hoped that it would be from Gryffindor, though she only knew of Angelina Johnson who had managed to put her name in without getting a white beard.

       When the students returned back to the Gryffindor common room, the sound of music started playing along with the party, which made Jenna realized that the champion had in fact been selected from Gryffindor. But as it seemed, the champion wasn't yet present at the common room.

      The curiosity nearly killing her, Crookshanks walked toward where Hermione stood in a corner, who was watching the common room's door anxiously. The cat then meowed, scratching at Hermione's leg with her paw to get her attention.

      Crookshanks then started moving up the girls' dormitory with one last glance at Hermione to make sure that she had gotten the hint and was now following her upstairs.

      When they entered the dorm, Jenna transformed back to her human form the moment Hermione closed the door and then casted a silencing charm around the room with her wand and locked the door.

     Hermione still didn't look too comfortable whenever Jenna transformed into human before her, though there was something else troubling her mind tonight.

     "So?" Jenna asked eagerly, grinning. "Who's the champion for Hogwarts? Do I know them?"

      "I — er — well..." Hermione stammered unsurely, throwing her gaze down.

      "Well what?" Jenna raised a brow at her.

     Hermione then gulped, finally looking up at her and blurting out, "It's Harry."