Chapter 12

***

***

Jenna tried to take a closer look at the man; though he seemed pretty young, his light brown hair had turned grey in many places.

       She couldn't believe her eyes... after all this time, he was here...

     "How d'you know that?" Ron asked Hermione, eyeing the man.

     "It's on his case," Hermione replied, pointing at the luggage rack
over the his head.

     "Wonder what he teaches?" said Ron, frowning at Professor Lupin's pallid profile.

     "That's obvious," whispered Hermione. "There's only one vacancy, isn't there? Defense Against the Dark Arts."

     "Well, I hope he's up to it," said Ron doubtfully. "He looks like one good hex would finish him off, doesn't he? Anyway..." He turned to Harry. "What were you going to tell us?"

       With that, Jenna had to turn her attention back to Harry, who started talking about how he had overheard Ron's  parents argue about Sirius Black.

       She wanted to turn back to her human form on the spot and to talk Harry out of it. To tell him that Sirius was innocent. To tell him how much he cared for Harry. But she couldn't.

      "Sirius Black escaped to come after you?" Hermione started after he was done. "Oh, Harry... you'll have to be really, really careful. Don't go looking for trouble, Harry —"

     "I don't go looking for trouble," said Harry, nettled. "Trouble usually finds me."

      Jenna's heart suddenly fluttered. Lily had used the exact same words once. To which Marlene had replied, "Is 'trouble' the new nickname you use for the immature arrogant toe-rag?"

     "How thick would Harry have to be, to go looking for a nutter who wants to kill him?" said Ron shakily. "No one knows how he got out of Azkaban. No one's ever done it before. And he was a top-security prisoner too."

     "But they'll catch him, won't they?" said Hermione earnestly. "I mean, they've got all the Muggles looking out for him too..."

    She then started fumbling with the straps of Crookshanks's basket as she spoke.

      "Don't let that thing out!" Ron said, but too late; Jenna leapt lightly from the basket, stretched and yawned to act natural, and then sprang onto Ron's knees; the lump in Ron's pocket trembled and he shoved Crookshanks angrily away.

      "Get out of here!"

      "Ron, don't!" said Hermione angrily, but Ron had already raised his hand and pushed Crookshanks off his knees and Jenna dropped to the ground with a loud thud.

      Jenna had never wanted to slap someone this much in her life as she grumpily settled in an empty seat, her yellow eyes on Ron's top pocket, where she knew the traitor laid at ease.