Chapter 121

A series of events took place at Hogwarts; the Dumbledore's Army had their first session, Hagrid returned from his mission, and worst of all, Harry, Fred, and George were banned from playing Quidditch by Umbridge, because of attacking Malfoy. Apparently, Lexi Hooper had indirectly warned them that this would happen, but neither of them had listened.

At least Hagrid had listened to Lexi's words the previous summer about the giants. Originally, as the Muggle girl had explained, none of the giants were supposed to have come to their side; they either were supposed to join the Death Eaters, and those who wanted to join the Order were supposed to get killed. But now, they had managed to keep three of the giants safe, who agreed with Dumbledore and were now on their side.

Although the problem was that Umbridge was now keeping a close eye on Hagrid in his lessons, as if looking for a reason to fire him. Hermione was trying desperately to help Hagrid and to plan his lessons for him, but it wasn't much help.

As the Christmas break was nearing, a slightly more cheerful atmosphere fell upon Hogwarts, despite their hard lessons and Umbridge being as horrible as ever.

Harry went on with teaching the Dumbledore's Army and they gathered around once a week in the Room of Requirements. Jenna loved to see the proud smile on his face each time Harry returned to the common room after their lesson, and it warmed Jenna's heart to see him that way.

On the night of their last DA lesson before Christmas, Crookshanks saw that Ron and Hermione returned to the common room alone, and without Harry by their side.

Jenna got anxious for a second, thinking that something terrible had happened. But as it seemed, Hermione and Ron didn't share the same amount of worry as Jenna.

Hermione was writing briskly with her quill; she had already filled half a roll of parchment, which was dangling from the edge of the table. Ron was lying on the hearthrug, trying to finish his Transfiguration homework.

Although Jenna was relieved when the portrait of the Fat Lady swung open half an hour later, and Harry finally walked inside the common room. Jenna couldn't help but realize that he looked rather odd, as if he were in a state of shock.

"What kept you?" Ron asked, as Harry sank into the armchair next to Hermione's.

Harry did not answer. Crookshanks looked up at Harry through her yellow eyes as she was laying down beside Hermione, purring.

"Are you all right, Harry?" Hermione asked, peering at him over the tip of her quill as she was writing her essay.

Harry gave a halfhearted shrug. In truth, he didn't know whether he was all right or not.

"What's up?" said Ron, hoisting himself up on his elbow to get a clearer view of Harry. "What's happened?"

"Is it Cho?" Hermione inquired. "Did she corner you after the meeting?"

Numbly surprised, Harry nodded. Ron sniggered, breaking off when Hermione caught his eye.

Crookshanks was now staring at Harry with high interest after hearing Cho's name, remembering how Hermione had told her about Harry's crush last year.

"So — er — what did she want?" Ron asked in a mock casual voice.

"She —" Harry began, rather hoarsely; he cleared his throat and tried again. "She — er —"

"Did you kiss?" Hermione asked briskly, catching them all off guard.

Ron sat up so fast that he sent his ink bottle flying all over the rug. Disregarding this completely he stared avidly at Harry.