Chapter 138

After Sirius received Snape's Patronus, the feeling of panic washed over him. With trembling hands, he summoned the other Order members, and so Moody, Kingsley, Tonks, and Remus showed up as soon as they got the message. Although Sirius feared that it would be too late, and that they had already captured Harry and the others.

     "Sirius!" Remus cried out, moving forward urgently into the house. "We came as soon as we heard! What's going on!?"

     "Snape contacted me through Floo Network first," Sirius started to explain briskly, finding it hard to breathe. "He said that Harry's had a vision like the one he had of Arthur! He thinks that Voldemort has captured me in the Department of Mysteries! They're trying to break into the Ministry!"

     "Then we have to leave!" Moody growled, limping his way forward. "Now!"

"It would be too late." They all turned around at the bitter voice, only to see Kreacher lurking around.

"Meaning?" Sirius snarled.

"Kreacher told him..." the house elf went on. "Kreacher told the Potter boy, just as he was asked..."

Sirius made a move forward angrily, but Remus held him back.

"Now's not the time, Sirius," Remus said sharply.

"I'll deal with you when I come back," Sirius growled at Kreacher, taking his wand out.

"Come back?" Remus repeated, shaking his head briskly. "No. There's no way you're coming with us!"

"You can try to stop me," Sirius said sternly, making his way over the door.

"Don't act deranged, Sirius," Moody growled, his magical eye following Sirius. "We are entering the Ministry of Magic. You're a wanted man."

"I don't give a damn," Sirius said coldly, opening the door to Grimmauld Place.

     "Sirius, please think about it —" Remus was trying to say, but he cut him off.

     "Stay out of this Remus! Harry's in danger! You can't expect me to sit here and do nothing!" Sirius snarled, stepping outside and finally standing beneath the dark sky.

    Kingsley followed him right after, along with Moody and Tonks, which left no time for Remus to protest any further. The moment they stepped outside Grimmauld Place, they Disapparated one by one, appearing the next moment in London, following Moody's lead into the Ministry of Magic.

     The Ministry was empty and quiet, except for the sound of their rushed footsteps and their loud breathings.

     "This way!" Moody growled, leading them toward the Department of Ministry.

They were now standing in a large, circular room. Everything there was black including the floor and ceiling, shimmering light reflected in the shining marble floor so that it looked as though there was dark water underfoot.

     The five of them rushed forward, trying to find the others. They entered the Hall of Prophecy, but found the place empty and yet in a horrible mess. A fight had taken place here, which only meant one thing.

    The Death Eaters had gotten here sooner than them.

     Moody's magical eye roamed the Hall as the rest remained still. "I see them," Moody growled, raising his wand even higher as they started to run toward a door at the end of the Hall.

But the closer they got to the door, the louder the sounds of screaming got. It was a girl. She was being tortured.

"Now, Potter, either give us the prophecy, or watch your little friend die the hard way!" They heard a woman say, but then she shrieked out once more, "Crucio!"