Chapter 41

Throughout the next few hours, Crookshanks and Padfoot waited for the right moment to pounce. But first, they had to wait for the execution of Buckbeak the Hippogriff to be over, so Fudge and Dumbledore could leave first.

"So..." Crookshanks started as they were laying down behind the bushes at the edge of the Dark Forest. "What are you planning on doing after tonight? I mean... say we do manage to get rid of Pettigrew... but what then?"

"Well..." Padfoot paused, thinking. "We would leave the castle. Go somewhere warm and sunny, to the south. Somewhere to watch the stars at night. We can start a new life."

Crookshanks wanted to smile to herself, but then a thought made its way through her head when she realized something.

"But what about Harry?" she mused. "Sirius, I was supposed look after him for the last twelve years, but I failed. I can't leave him now."

"So you're planning on staying as a cat for the rest of your life?"

"No, but just until my name's cleared. Everyone thinks I'm dead, and even before that, they all thought I was a Death Eater, remember? It won't be safe for Harry if I come into his life right now."

But Jenna had other doubts in this matter as well. For the past few months, she daydreamed about the day that she would finally be able to introduce herself to Harry in her human form, as his aunt. But she feared that he would push her away, furious that she hadn't been for him in all those years, regardless of the fact that she didn't even know he existed.

"Jenna! Look!" Padfoot suddenly got to his paws from behind the bushes, looking sharply at the distance.

Crookshanks got up as well, trying to figure out what he meant. And that was when she saw it.

Three pairs of feet were running down the hill toward Hagrid's hut, but the rest of their bodies were invisible.

"It's Harry and Ron and Hermione," said Crookshanks, watching them. "They're using James's Invisibility Cloak."

"Dumbledore must've given it to Harry," said Padfoot. "The cloak was in his possession before Voldemort's downfall."

"But why would he even need it? Dumbledore must be powerful enough to go invisible without using a cloak. The spell isn't that hard."

But their attention was caught when they saw Hagrid open the door to his hut. Apparently the three had knocked at his door so Hagrid could let them in.

Padfoot and Crookshanks waited impatiently in the distance, watching everywhere around them carefully. It was near sunset when they saw Cornelius Fudge and Dumbledore walking down toward Hagrid's hut with the executer.

Right at that moment, the backdoor to Hagrid's little house opened and the three ran out, still under the invisibility cloak, running up toward the top of the hill where Crookshanks and Padfoot were hiding nearby.

"Do you smell that?" Padfoot had suddenly started sniffing around.

Crookshanks couldn't understand what had gotten his attention. But that was when she heard the name.

"Scabbers, keep still," they heard Ron hiss from under the cloak, clamping his hand on the pocket over his chest.

"It's the rat," said Padfoot, and Jenna saw a flicker of anger flash through his eyes as he started growling.

The rat was wriggling madly and Jenna and Sirius could hear him squeaking. Ron then came to a sudden halt, trying to force Scabbers deeper into his pocket.

      "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat? Stay still — OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" They heard Hermione whisper urgently. "Fudge'll be out here in a minute —"

"He won't — stay — put —"
Scabbers was plainly terrified. He was writhing with all his might, trying to break free of Ron's grip.

"Wait for me here, Sirius," Crookshanks said quietly, her yellow eyes fixed on where she knew Harry, Ron, and Hermione were hiding under the invisibility cloak, Pettigrew with them.

"What's the matter with him?" Harry questioned, but then his eyes caught sight of Crookshanks, slinking toward them, her body low to the ground, wide yellow eyes glinting eerily in the darkness.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione groaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

But Jenna hardly cared anymore. All she could think about was that if it hadn't been for Pettigrew, Lily and James would've been alive right now. Sirius wouldn't have been stuck in Azkaban for twelve years. Jenna wouldn't have to run away. So she just neared them slowly, growling.

"Scabbers — NO!" Ron yelled, but it was too late. The rat had slipped between Ron's clutching fingers, hit the ground, and scampered away.

In one bounce, Jenna sprang after him, and before Harry or Hermione could stop him, Ron had thrown the Invisibility Cloak off himself and pelted away into the darkness.

"Ron!" Hermione called after him, but he wasn't paying attention.

So with one last look at each other, Harry and Hermione followed him away, pulling the invisibility cloak off them and running after Ron.

"Get away from him — get away — Scabbers, come here —" Ron was shouting as he ran after Crookshanks, who was chasing Pettigrew.

With a loud thud, Ron threw himself forward, grasping the rat in his hands. "Gotcha! Get off, you stinking cat —"

Sirius was watching everything in the distance, his heart pounding in his chest as he growled in fury, watching the read-haired boy force the rat down his pocket again. He had to do something himself. He had waited long enough for this moment.

So with that, Sirius made a running start in his dog form, growling as he leaped forward. The three yelled, but before any of them could grab for their wands, the dog clutched his sharp teeth around Ron's leg, carrying him backward and toward the tree's trunk, disappearing inside it.

"NO! RON!" Hermione and Harry screamed behind him, trying to run forward and help him.

But then, out of nowhere, the Whomping Willow started moving, hitting Harry and Hermione across the chest with a sharp branch and knocking them off their feet.

"Ron!" Harry shouted, trying to follow him, but another heavy branch whipped lethally through the air and he was forced backward again. They could still hear Ron's screams echoing from underneath the tree.

Jenna was shaken, hardly able to breathe as she watched them. This was not how they had planned the night. For a moment, she got afraid that Harry and Hermione would go for help and bring someone down here with them. If anyone got in there and saw Sirius —

Jenna didn't even want to think about it. She had to think of something quickly. She needed a way to lure Harry and Hermione inside the tree without them going to bring help.

So with that, Crookshanks darted forward. She slithered between the battering branches like a snake and placed her front paws upon a knot on the tree trunk, pressing it.

Abruptly, as though the tree had been turned to marble, it stopped moving. Not a leaf twitched or shook.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione whispered uncertainly. She now grasped Harry's arm painfully hard. "How did she know — ?"

"She's friends with that dog. I've seen them together," said Harry grimly. "Come on, let's go. And keep your wand out."