Chapter 38

Author's Note

Hello guys! I had a quick question...
How many of you here have NOT read Muggle?

These two books share the same plot and it becomes important from year 5. But I want to know how much I can merge Muggle into this story based on the number of people who have read Muggle, so it wouldn't be too confusing for those of you who haven't.

***

The Quidditch match between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor was approaching and there was a rush of excitement through the castle. Although Jenna was more worried than ever as she waited day and night for any sign of Sirius.

     She didn't know what to expect and had no idea what Sirius was planning to do now that he had the Gryffindor common room's password. But all she could hope for was that he would manage to kill Pettigrew without being caught or even seen.

     Everyday, Jenna would wake up to listen to what the girls said in the dorm, just to see if there was any news of the infamous Sirius Black. But he hadn't been sighted for a long time, which was a matter of comfort to Jenna.

     That day, Crookshanks was in the common room, sitting down by Hermione's feet on the cozy carpet on the floor. But just then her head snapped up when she saw Harry walking toward them hesitantly, clearing his throat.

     "Can I sit down?" Harry asked Hermione.

     "I suppose so," said Hermione, moving a great stack of parchment off a chair.

Jenna looked between them carefully, glad to know that Harry had a good and kind heart, just like his mother. She pitied Hermione, because Ron was still not on talking terms with her and she didn't really have a good friendship with her other roommates.

     Harry looked around at the cluttered
table and at all her books as he sat down beside her, unaware that Jenna was watching him carefully as always, wanting to smile if only she could.

     "How are you getting through all this stuff?" Harry asked her in disbelief.

     "Oh, well — you know — working hard," said Hermione, shrugging the matter off.

    "Why don't you just drop a couple of subjects?" Harry asked, watching her lifting books as she searched for her rune dictionary. "Arithmancy looks terrible."

     "Oh no, it's wonderful!" said Hermione rather cheerfully, shaking her head. "It's actually —"

     But Hermione never got to finish her sentence, because just then a strangled yell echoed down the boys' staircase, causing Crookshanks's ears to go sharp.

     The whole common room fell silent, staring at the entrance of the boys' dormitory. Then came hurried footsteps, growing louder and louder, until Ron finally came leaping into view, dragging what seemed to be a bedsheet with him.

      "LOOK!" he bellowed, striding over to Hermione's table. "LOOK!" he yelled, shaking the sheets in her face.

      "Ron, what — ?"

     "SCABBERS! LOOK! SCABBERS!"
Hermione was leaning away from Ron, looking utterly bewildered.

Crookshanks had now gotten to her paws at the mention of the name and looked down at what Ron was holding. There was something red on it. Something that looked horribly like —

     "BLOOD!" Ron yelled into the stunned silence. "HE'S GONE! AND YOU KNOW WHAT WAS ON THE FLOOR?"

     "N — no," said Hermione in a trembling voice.