Chapter 08

Harry Potter had finally had enough of the Durselys.

He had kept his temper under control for so long, holding himself back. But he finally lost it as Marge Dursley crossed the line and started insulting his parents.

And so, his heart pumping and his blood boiling, he blew her up and sent the woman flying away as Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia ran after her, shouting and yelling.

Harry immediately tore from the dining room before anyone could stop him, heading for the cupboard under the stairs.

The cupboard door burst magically open as he reached it. In seconds, he had heaved his trunk to the front door. He then went quickly upstairs and packed all of his remaining stuff.

He wriggled out, seized Hedwig's empty cage, and dashed back downstairs to his trunk, just as Uncle Vernon burst out of the dining room.

"COME BACK IN HERE!" he bellowed. "COME BACK AND PUT HER RIGHT!"

"She deserved it," Harry said as he felt his rage breaking free. "She deserved what she got. You keep away from me."

He fumbled behind him for the latch on the door.

"I'm going," Harry said. "I've had enough." And in the next moment, he was out in the dark, quiet street, heaving his heavy trunk behind him, Hedwig's empty cage under his arm.

***

"Are you quite sure they live in Privet Drive?" Crookshanks asked Padfoot as the sun had finally set, yet they were still running on all fours.

"No," Padfoot answered her simply, causing the cat to glare at him as she tried to catch up with his pace. "But Lily had said that they lived there, remember?"

"What if they have moved, you idiot!?" Crookshanks hissed angrily at him.

"Well, guess we just have to see and find out for ourselves," Padfoot barked playfully as they kept on running.

"At least do you know which number they used to live at?"

"No."

"Damn it, Sirius! Then why did you even suggest coming here all this way!?"

"Because you kept saying that you wanted to see Harry. And so do I!"

       "That was before we were planning on going to Hogw —!"

But just then Crookshanks stopped in her tracks as she caught sight of a boy nearby, dropping himself down on the sidewalk out of exhaustion. He had messy jet-black hair and was wearing round glasses.

He looked oddly familiar to her...

Looking around, Padfoot saw that she had stopped and so he walked back toward her. "What is it, Jenny? Do your paws hurt? I told you not to come —"

"No, Sirius," she slightly shook her head, her gaze fixed on the boy. "Look at him... is it just me or does he look like —"

"—James," said Sirius in a quiet bark.

***

Harry was several streets away before he collapsed down on the sidewalk in Magnolia Crescent, panting from the effort of dragging his trunk. He then sat down on the soaked ground, trying to catch his breath.

But suddenly a funny prickling on the back of his neck had made Harry feel he was being watched.

He then suddenly heard it: someone or something was standing in the narrow gap between the garage and the fence, hiding beneath the bushes.

Harry squinted at the black alleyway. If only it would move, then he'd know whether it was just a stray cat or — something else.

Gulping slowly, he took out his wand and raised toward where he had heard the scrabbling noises.

"Lumos," Harry muttered and a light appeared at the end of his wand, almost dazzling him.

"Why is Harry using magic!?" Crookshanks growled quietly, standing extremely still and well-hidden behind the bushes. "He's clearly underage! And what is he doing in the street with his trunk in the middle of the night? Has he ran away?"

"He takes after his Godfather," said Padfoot, and Jenna had the urge to roll her eyes, if only she could.

"Those stupid Dursleys have been treating him like trash! I know it! Oh, I'll kill them!"

"Keep your claws at bay, Kitten."

Suddenly having the impression that Harry could see her, Crookshanks slowly backed away further into the bushes.

Harry then held the lit wand high over his head; the garage door gleamed, and between the bushes nearby Harry saw, quite distinctly, the hulking outline of something very big and black, with wide, gleaming eyes.

Harry stepped backward the moment he saw the horrifying large dog. His legs hit his trunk and he tripped. His wand flew out of his hand as he flung out an arm to break his fall, and he landed, hard, in the gutter.

But just then, there was a deafening BANG, and Harry threw up his hands to shield his eyes against a sudden blinding light. With a yell, he rolled back onto the pavement, just in time.

A second later, Jenna and Sirius backed further away into the bushes as they saw a gigantic pair of wheels and headlights screech to a halt exactly where Harry had just been lying.

It was the Knight Bus.