(41) Bad idea

"She looks so peaceful now

"She looks so peaceful now." Clary sighs, her arms folded and gaze firmly on our mother, who still remained unconscious and unaware, " I just wish I knew how to reach her."

"I know, it's hard. But at least we have her and we know she's safe, we'll figure out how to wake her up soon enough" I say with a hopeful and comforting tone, my hand coming up and grabbing Clary's making her slightly smile in return.

After Valentine had escaped, we all returned to the Institute, returning the Cup and unknowingly saving Izzy from a more terrible fate. Apparently she was at risk of being de-runed and sent off into exile for saving Meliorn, but with the Cup in safe hands and the return of our mother it meant that Izzy was safe too.

I watch as Clary exhales deeply as she walks over to sit at the leather bench at the back of the small, quaint room where our mother was sleeping. I frown, seeing the dark bags under her eyes and her chapped lips, and from the fogginess of her eyes I could tell she was miles away, lost in her own mind.

"Clary" I call, walking over to sit directly beside her, my hands grabbing hers. She looks up at me, a mixture of exhaustion and grief across her face, and already I can see how overwhelmed and weak she is.

"Things have been so hectic, with Valentine and Mom...but we just found out something completely insane and I- how are you coping?" I ask, stammering over my own words, not wanting to trigger her into a fit of emotion by saying the wrong thing.

"If you mean Jace is our brother then yeah, I'd say it's pretty insane" Clary mutters, a hollow and grim laugh escaping her lips as she turns to look at me. "I don't know how to feel, I kissed him, a-and I was falling for him... how disgusting is that?" She groans, scowling in anger while eyes hazel eyes puffed and glazed over.

"No, no it's not disgusting" I express, reaching forwards and lifting Clary's face towards me, my heart breaking as I see the tears rolling down her cheeks. "You and Jace did not know you were related, and that love you felt was real and it was powerful, the situation is- confusing now, but that doesn't make it wrong."

"You can't beat yourself up over this, Risa, I know that this is a huge blow and I can't even imagine how badly you are hurting, but right now, just know that what you and Jace had was special, regardless of the background, and now even though it's not ideal... we have our brother back, and our Mom" I try my hardest to sound persuasive, to try and make what is a terrible and heart-breaking reality seem less severe, and from the look of on Clary's face I can tell she's willing to try and move on.

She was always the strongest one of us both.

"Thank you, Cam" She whispers, her voice slightly hoarse, and I smile as I swiftly wrap my arms around her, knowing nothing else needed to be said and all she really needed was some comforting.

"Sorry to interrupt, I was uh- looking for Lydia"

I feel my stomach twist into knots upon hearing his voice, and as I pull back from Clary, I see the pitied and anxious look she throws my way. Ignoring this, with all the pride and dignity I have, I turn, my eyes falling upon Alec.