(32) One knee

I make my through the corridors, corridors that have been engraved into my mind since my childhood

I make my through the corridors, corridors that have been engraved into my mind since my childhood. The New York institute has always been home, I can barely remember a memory where it hasn't been.

I learnt how to fight here, practiced my archery here, Jace became my brother and then Parabatai in this institute, everything I cared about was here.

Now, including Camilla Fairchild.

A girl who at first I despised but now seem to adore, in ways that are embarrassing to admit. It was crazy to think how times have changed, and never in a million years did I think that she would be the catalyst for that change, though I am glad she was.

The conversation we had earlier had meant more than I could express, hearing her be so open and caring made talking to her easier, it made opening up, something I never do, easier. And she was right, I had been a puppet to my family and the Clave my entire life and now I didn't want to be anymore.

Because of her.

I was a cowards, if I'm being honest with myself.

Because no matter how many times my heart jumps when I see her, or my skin electrifies when we touch, or the numerous times in a day I wish I could feel my lips on hers, I still am too much of a coward to admit how I feel.

I have fallen for Camilla, and yet I can't even find it in me to tell her.

But I will, after this moment, after telling my parents that I am no longer there's to control, I will tell Camilla how I feel, and by the angel we can be happy and together.

Because we deserve it.

Smiling to myself, I near my parents- I mean, Lydia's office, ready to give her the folder that Magnus had previously handed to me. However, as I near the door I hear the voice of my mother and immediately halt in my tracks, freezing my movements to listen.

"The Clave has spoken. They will be taking full control of the Institute." Lydia states, her voice strong but still remaining sympathetic, the respect for my parents evident.

"I'm begging you. You can punish us, but our children did nothing wrong. They've worked so hard–" My mother begs, desperation in her voice.

"I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do. With everything that's happened here in New York, plus your history with the Circle, and now Valentine's return. The Clave believes the Institute's at risk."

"We've been trying to stop Valentine. What has the Clave done? The answer is nothing. He's growing in strength. They're more concerned about removing us from the Institute." My dad defends, his voice rough and demeanour fighting, clearly not only devastated but angry too.

Though he had a right to be, the Clave has taken everything from us.

"Robert." My mother warns.

"The law's hard... but it is the law. We will await the Clave's instructions." Lydia states, her voice echoing the same motto that ruins people.

The law was ruining my family, and I had to do something about it.

Gathering my strength and inhaling deeply, I straighten myself out and enter the room, halting the discussion and having all eyes on me. "I have the preliminary results from Magnus. No magic was used in creating the Forsaken."

"I'll take them." Lydia states but I merely ignore her, handing the papers to my mother, who smiles appreciatively but shakes her head in defeat, giving the papers to Lydia, a sorrowful expression on her face.

With that my parents, give me once last glance before exiting the room leaving Lydia and I alone.

I can't let this happen.

I can't let my family be destroyed like this.

Not when I have a choice.

"Alec, I'm sorry about your parents, but my hands were tied." Lydia explains, a sincere look of pity on her face and I nod, knowing that she was hardly to blame. She was just the messenger, she had no power in what happens to my family.

But I did.

"No, I... I know. The law is hard, but it's the law, and I respect that. But I've realized that I have to listen to my heart." I state, leaning forwards, my change in demeanour catching Lydia's attention and she stands, coming over with a confused look her face.

"Let's not forget where that got me." She says, a bitter tone escaping with her humourless chuckle.

"I know. And I can't bring John back. But, like you said, our families have been strong allies. And we can use that to our advantage. Together, we can restore my family name and we can keep the Institute." I say, moving forwards, closer to Lydia, watching as her face contorts and her expression turns to surprise, her eyes widening in realisation.

" And we'd get to run it." She mutters in awe.

I nod stiffly, before, and without hesitation, bending down on one knee watching as Lydia laughs in shock, her eyes down on me. And I exhale, preparing myself for my entire life to change, and for my heart to break.

I'm so sorry Camilla.

"Lydia Branwell, will you marry me, Alec Lightwood?" I ask, gazing up hopefully at the woman who had my families entire future in her hands, in her answer. And even though the answer was far from what my heart desires, I still knew it was what I had to do.

"Yes, I will marry you".

...

I'M SORRY :( I know, I know, I ruined everything but I gotta stick to the story even if it makes me want to cry and fall into a hole forever. Camlec have hit a bump in the road, but is it too much for them, will they survive it or will it destroy them?

If you enjoyed the chapter, make sure you VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE.

And I will see you lovelies next chapter xoxo

PS, I have updated 3 chapters in the last 24 hours, go me :))