(36) Heaven

I squint past the beam of sunlight peeking through the leaves, my eyes scanning past the soaring trees and vast areas of greenery, mesmerised

If heaven existed, I'd imagine it to look like this.

Serene, effortless and magical.

But we weren't in heaven, unfortunately. Instead Clary, Jace and I found ourselves trustingly following Meliorn through this abyss of nature, hoping he would lead us to the place we've been desperate to find since we landed into this mess.

Wherever the hell Valentine was.

"Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore." Clary mutters, brushing a low hanging leave out of her face, the same look of disbelief and tranquillity evident on her expression, I could tell she too was still getting to grasp with how magical our world really was.

"Welcome to the Seelie Glade, Clary and Camilla Fairchild." Meliorn says, a knowing smirk on his face, "The remotest edges of it."

"How did we get here?" I ask, "We aren't dead are we" I say tentatively, a mocking tone to my words, but my brow was still furrowed, hoping that weren't actually dead.

" There are entrances all through the mundane world." Meliorn replies, smiling at mannerism "You just have to know where to look."

"Why did we have to come here to find our father?" Clary asks, and I roll my eyes, my chest tightening whenever the word father is associated with Valentine. He was merely a sperm doner, and even then that felt too intimate a relationship to have with him.

"Because of your necklace. It's a Portal shard." He states, simply.

"Tell us something we don't know." Jace mutters sarcastically and I nudge him lightly. He sighs in surrender and looks away, Meliorn grinning at his unengaged figure.

"How do they work?" Meliorn asks, his attention on Clary and I, and I instinctively touch the ember shard, a strike of nostalgia and fear rising up me.

"When I touch the crystal and I think of someone, I can see where they are." Clary says, sending me a questioning side glance at my brain freeze, but I quickly smile back, not wanting to worry her.

My daddy issues can wait for another time.

"I'm curious, Shadowhunter, who knows so much about Portals, did you never wonder why this Portal shard doesn't behave the way normal Portals do?" Meliorn asks, his body now facing us and his smile indicating a sense of arrogance and teasing.

Something that seemed to rub Jace the wrong way.

"Normal Portals can only take you to places you've been." He states, slightly irritated about being ignorant on the subject "I guess I never really thought about it."

"I see Isabelle is the smart one in the family." He mocks, making me chuckle, but the unamused stare I receive from Jace shuts me up, and I pout childishly at him in a fake apology, making him roll his eyes and smirk at me in amusement.