(53) Running out of time

"Clary" I sigh, rushing up from the bed and engulfing her into my arms, my face melting into her neck as I hold her unbelievably close

"Clary" I sigh, rushing up from the bed and engulfing her into my arms, my face melting into her neck as I hold her unbelievably close. "You're okay, thank the angel" She exhales in relief, her right hand coming up to comb down my hair, the gentleness soothing my erratic nerves.

She pulls back from me gently; her eyes follow with sorrow as she looks at Alec's unconscious figure and then back to me. "I'm fine Cam. Are you okay? Alec- "She cuts herself off, noting the way my eyes fog over.

"I'm fine, and Alec is going to be fine too. We're going to find Jace and it's all going to be ok" I nod my head, trying to convince myself more than anyone else.

"I've never seen Alec look this peaceful before" Clary mutters, following me up to the bed and sitting beside me, her eyes curiously looking over Alec's face. "It's kind of scary," she says, making a face.

I laugh out, shaking my head "He looks beautiful... it's totally ridiculous" I roll my eyes teasingly, and Clary responds with an infectious giggle, nodding her head in agreement.

The comfortable silence between us is broken as Izzy rushes in, slowly closing the door behind her. She turns on her heels, her eyes on Clary, wide in surprise.

"I can't believe you lied to Aldertree" She states, swiftly stalking forward and collapsing on the armchair beside the bed, her attention on Clary and me.

"I couldn't let him go after Jace as he did before" Clary states, shrugging in helplessness, knowing there wasn't much she could do.

"So, Dot took the ward down and you two jumped off the boat?" I ask, confused with all the details, my mind previously pre-occupied by Alec.

A distraction would do me some good.

"Yeah, but as soon as we hit the water, the tide was too strong" She closes her eyes, taking herself back "We lost each other, and I couldn't find him." I watch with sadness as she shakes her head, guilt eating at her.

"Wait, if he and Alec are going through the same thing, we couldn't be able to swim, he could be "Alarm rushes across her face, realisation clicking in.

"No" I swiftly oppose, halting any of those wild thoughts, "If Jace were dead, Alec's Parabatai rune would disappear"

"So that's good news, right?" She asks, sceptically, looking between Izzy and me.

"Yeah, but we don't know how much time Alec has left. Jace might be his only hope and for all we know Valentine has already found him" Izzy says, frowning deeply as she looks longingly at her brother.

"Jace is the strongest person I know... we're going to find" Clary laments, nodding her head encouragingly at us both.

And for her sake, I try and smile back.

"Maybe if we find something of Jace's?" Clary asks, looking to Izzy. Though she's quickly deterred when Izzy shakes her head.

"He's probably using a rune to block tracking" Izzy states, leaning back in her chair.