(51) Getting between us

"How could you?" I exclaimed, rushing into the training room where my mother, Clary, and Simon stand, already facing off

But I wasn't going to let her get away with it this time.

"Cam" My mother sighs, closing her eyes momentarily as I come to stand beside my sister, the both of us practically exuding rage.

"He's our brother, he's your fucking son... and you tried to shoot him?" I cry out, the disbelief at what I'd heard scratching at my throat and thrumming in my veins.

"You don't understand" She reasons, reaching for my arm, though I barely let her within an inch before I yank back, too furious to even look at her.

"You're right," Clary says, "We don't understand, we don't understand how you could try to kill your own child".

"Because your brother is not who you think he is!" She screams, her voice booming, taking me back to my childhood years and being scolded for skipping school.

"Girls, please" She sighs, her voice quietening, "There's so much you still don't know".

"And who's fault is that" Clary sneers, folding her arms.

"Okay... maybe we should all calm down a little" Simon steps in, rubbing his neck awkwardly, not used to the tension in our family.

"I'm a victim here too" My mother whispers, her eyes fogging over as she looks back up at Clary and me "When I was pregnant with your brother, Valentine drugged me- he injected Jonathon with demon venom".

Holy shit.

"What?" I mutter, the word barely escaping my lips and as I turn to Clary, I notice the same exasperation on her face.

"He thought it would make our baby strong- but it made him evil instead" She sighs, her hand unconsciously running through her hair.

"No- "I stop, shaking my head "Even if that was true, Downworlder's have demon blood and they aren't all evil and this is Jace we're talking about. He's as harmless as a fucking kitten, especially to us"

"Cam, listen to me" My mother pleads, coming forward to grip my hand "I loved your brother, he was my baby. But I saw what he was capable of". She steps back silently and raises her sleeve and with her stele, she runs over a rune on her forearm, before clinging onto Clary and me.

Suddenly, we're transported into a memory.

One where my mother is young and just as beautiful as she is now. I watch with bated breath as she kneels in the field of a garden, holding an adorable and tiny, blonde baby boy.

Jonathan.

"Look mommy's cutting some pretty flowers" She hums, her hand snipping away at the lilies and sunflowers gathered before her and Jonathan.