(28) I did it

"Did you get it?" I immediately ask, barely giving Jace and Clary time to breath as they exit the precinct and walk over to us

"Did you get it?" I immediately ask, barely giving Jace and Clary time to breath as they exit the precinct and walk over to us. They looked like they had just endured a long ass journey to complete the mission and I desperately hoped they got the taro card.

It was the only way to save my mother.

"Yeah, here Cam" Clary says, pulling it out from her jacket and handing it to me. The card was simple, and plain looking enough; it had a gold chalice in the middle and if I didn't know how important it was, I wouldn't have thought it was anything special.

Inhaling nervously, I grip the card tightly and lift my hand, slowly moving it forwards and attempting to reach in and grab it, just as I had done earlier.

Just as my fingers touch the top, nothing happens.

I can't pull it out.

Frustration and sadness wells in me as I repeatedly slam my my against the cups image, desperation filling me to just get it out.

Why couldn't I do it?

"What's wrong?" Jace asks, worry evident on his expression.

"I- Can't get it out"

"Well try harder" Alec pushes and I snap my head in his direction, seething with anger as I glare at him.

"I'm fucking trying!" I exclaim, my hands dropping to my side as I exhale, my emotions beginning to overwhelm me.

I had the fucking cup in my hands, literally in my hands, and I can't take it out.

How typically useless of me.

"Listen, you two can discuss theory as much as you want when we get back to the Institute. But right now, considering we just stole from the cops, I suggest we get home." Jace interrupts, stepping between us to allow us both time to cool down.

Everyone was tired and frustrated, and the last thing we needed was us fighting amongst ourselves.

"Yeah, you're right. Let's get going" I mutter, placing the taro card into my leather jacket pocket for safe keeping.

"Guys," Izzy states cautiously, her hand simultaneously reaching up to touch the glowing red pendant around her neck." I think the mundanes might be the least of our worries."

That's just great.

"Never a dull day with you Fairchild sisters, let's get going" Jace smirks, before they all begin rushing down the steps and away from the precinct.

"Guys, slow down" Clary calls, the both of us further behind, finding it harder to keep up with the trio, who seemingly where flying through the crowds of people.

As we weave through the crowd, I accidently bump into an old lady, knocking her bag onto the floor. I immediately bend down and retrieve it, "I am so sorry" I express but as she growls, I step back in surprise.