(50) For Jace

"Aldertree said he wanted to rescue Jace" Clary exclaims, her breaths coming out in harsh puffs as she stares in shock at the wanted sign

Dead or Alive.

I felt bile rise up my throat as I watched the picture rotate.

"Actually, Clary, I said I wanted to find him." Aldertree amends, sauntering down the steps and moving to stand beside the table, "And you gave me the clue I needed to do just that."

"What did you tell him?" Alec questions, his eyes narrowed down accusingly at her.

"Alec, I didn't-" Clary defends, though she's swiftly cut off my Aldertree's booming voice.

"First up," Aldertree states," all Downworlders are forbidden from entering the Institute without my prior approval. For those still present, good day." His eyes lock on Luke and I immediate step forward to argue.

"I'm not leaving Jocelyn" Luke states, buckling down at Aldertree, "Besides, my badge gives me access to resources and I can help find Jace"

"That won't be necessary, I'm going to have to insist" He replies, his tone leaving no room for arguments.

"Call me when you can" Luke sighs, turning to my mother who nods appreciatively in response.

"And you too, Simon right?" He smirks, turning his attention to a bewildered-looking Simon. Luke ushers Simon with him, and with a final squeeze of my arm and Clary's hand, he leaves too.

"Now, let's get to it." Aldertree sighs, clasping his hands and gathering all our attentions.

"I've reviewed your statements, along with the reports of your unsanctioned missions. And I can come to no other conclusion that Jace Wayland is a traitor to the Clave. "

" Whose ass did you pull that conclusion out of?" I demand, angry and horrified by his statement.

"Jace is not a traitor" Alec defends, stepping forward beside me.

"Clary said Jace called to warn you about Valentine's trap, which got me thinking... Jace had multiple chances to kill Valentine, but he chose to let him leave." He explains, calm and analytical.

"Now, Valentine, Jace, and the Cup are missing. Do the math."

"You're insane if you think we're going to help you hunt Jace down like some kind of criminal" I spit, folding my arms and sneering as our eyes lock.

"And I'd never ask you to." He smiles softly, " You and your friends are prohibited from any further involvement in the hunt for Jace Wayland."

"What?" Izzy exclaims, shocked by his statement.

"Everyone else, get back to work" He announces, back to official business, "The lockdown is lifted, except for Jocelyn, Clary and Camilla- I want to keep an eye on all of you"