(10) Burden

Silently, we all sat in Simon's van, the eeriness of our location sinking in as we pulled up, the grim surroundings making my stomach churn with nerves

We appeared to be in the middle of nowhere, literally, the surrounding area was covered in dirt and grass, the large and monstrous sky-scraping trees seemingly everywhere, appearing like an army around us. The night had begun to darken as now the only thing visible was the luminance of the night sky, though the light had seemed to darken as we got closer to the city of bones.

And this place definitely screamed 'creepy and deadly'.

Bracing ourselves, we all climbed out of the van, all of us holding our breaths at the eerie and ambiguous atmosphere; even Jace the 'I'm not afraid of the silent brothers' looked ready to shit himself.

Me too sis.

"Yeah, this place isn't creepy." Simons mutters, his face prominently showing his anxiety as he glances around, "Not at all." I reply back sarcastically, my eyes shifting to Simon teasingly, though I can correctly assume that I didn't look as confident as I appeared.

"Don't tell me you're afraid." Izzy asks Simon, a large and playful grin on her face as Simon gulps, fixing his glasses on his face, an action he often did when nervous.

"Are you kidding me? I was born afraid... which sounded a lot better in my head." Simon says, his face turning an amusing shade of red at him word vomiting in front of Izzy. I giggle lightly, shaking my head at a blushing Simon, his proud cowardice making a heavy situation much lighter.

"Let's check it out." Alec says, his face as stoic as every as he marches forwards ready to check the perimeter. Clary and I step forwards ready to follow, only to be halted by Jace." Wait here a minute. I want to see if it's safe." He states, his arm pulling out his serph blade as he saunters away, not bothering to wait for a response.

"Why are we doing this? We don't even know these people." Simon whispers, his face utterly confused since despite how strangely normal this all feels it is completely mad, and us trusting people we met literally 5 minutes ago probably isn't ideal.

Though nothing in this situation is ideal.

"We don't really have a choice Simon, we need to get our memories back and save Mum and Dot, otherwise we're going to lose them" I say sighing, since even though it was the hard truth, we didn't have anyone else.

"I really wish Mom had trusted us enough to tell us about all of this" Clary growls out, her face showing clear signs of exhaustion and anger and even though I felt exactly the same, I still didn't have it in me to feel anything but need for my mom.

I run my hands messily through my hair, my eyes avoiding the run-down building before us, not needing a constant reminder of what was about to happen.

"I don't blame her really" I start "I feel like she wanted too, but at the end of the day all our lives were in danger; the less we knew the better." I express and despite how angry I knew Clary was she still nods in agreement, "I know, I know, it just would have been a lot easier to know at least the basics; we could find her quicker that way" Clarys frowns, her arms folding across her chest as she stares harshly at the ground; almost as if her hard glare would change the situation we were currently in.