(54) Hope

"Where the hell is Jace?" I hiss, pacing back and forth through Magnus's living room

"Where the hell is Jace?" I hiss, pacing back and forth through Magnus's living room. My eyes glance momentarily to Alec, my nerves building as he continues to incoherently mumble and thrash, his skin like fire and paler than I'd ever seen.

He was going to die if we didn't get Jace here soon.

By some miracle we had managed to leave the institute, glamouring Raj as Alec and Magnus portalling out straight from that room had been easy but now Jace still hadn't arrived, and we were running out of time.

My phone rings and I see Izzy's name, I hurriedly answer, pulling the phone to my ear.

"Izzy, Alec's getting worse" I exclaim, desperate "Where is Jace?"

"He's being chased by Luke's pack... they think he killed one of theirs, but Clary said Valentine had done it. I made a deal with Aldertree and he's having a warlock make me a portal now, But I don't know if ill make it on time"

"God... " I whisper. 

"I could make it." I exhale, my hand running through my hair, "You portal to Magnus's and I'll have Magnus portal me to Jace and I'll bring him back here, it's not too far and I should be there as soon as"

"That's a good idea," Izzy says, her voice uneven. "Clary's running there now, grab them both... and Cam?"

"Yeah, Iz?"

"Thank you" She whispers, her voice softening. My heart thrums at her words and I nod, even though she can't see me.

"Of course,". I hang up, rushing into Magnus's room where he stands, looking through his potions cabinet.

"Magnus, I need a portal to get Jace" I pull out my phone as Izzy's text shows up. "Front street, he's on Front street"

Magnus nods and together we both rush into the sitting room I look to Alec once more, desperate to give him one last kiss, but the timing was too tight, and I didn't want to be selfish and risk it.

"You ready, pumpkin?" Magnus asks his hands already in the air and glowing.

"I'm ready" I nod.

Within seconds the portal is whirling open and it's a pitch of multi-coloured darkness and the unknown. Smiling once, I quickly jump through.

The world spins off its axis, my stomach twisting and mind-bending as time and reality shift. I stumble to my feet, the ground now uneven concrete against my sneakers and the dark night sky shadowed down from the moon above my head.

I run forward on instinct as I see Jace and Clary, a beautiful tan woman stood before them, wolves at her side. I watch in terror as one of the slate grey wolves growls and rushes at Jace, his jaws snapping savagely.

I manage to get to Jace's side, startling them and standing before him.

"Cam, no!" Clary yells.

The wolf soars through the sky, almost in slow motions, its mouth open and teeth snapping. I feel the bile rise up my throat but as it inches nearer, I drag all the chaotic energy mixing in my chest, mentally pushing it all out.