(49) Interrogation

I stalked through the institute swiftly, the emptiness and silence of the corridors and rooms alerting me further to the seriousness of what was occurring

Not even 5 minutes after Magnus had fixed the disaster that I made of the kitchen and then had kindly held me as I wept did I receive an alarmed and important text from Izzy, practically demanding that I get to the Ops Centre.

And so I was, rushing as quickly as I could to see what the hell was happening.

Magnus was opposed to me leaving, saying he would go in my place and report back since I wasn't 'in the right state to be dealing with another spout of Clave bullshit', but I knew that whatever was happening I had to be there to witness.

Brushing aside my own drama and worries seemed easier with a bigger distraction.

As I round the corner, I'm instantly hit with the ever-increasing whispers and muttering of the Ops Centre, practically overspilling with the crowded and awaiting Shadowhunter's of the institute. As soon as I walk in, I spot Clary and the other's by the front, her strawberry blonde locks a dead giveaway.

"Excuse me" I mutter lowly, edging and pushing my way through the hordes of people before eventually reaching the front. I step around a woman, only to bump lightly into the chest of another person, making me falter a few steps.

"Camilla"

My eyes lift to meet Alec's gaze, surprise evident on my features at bumping into him. His expression was tight, his eyes softly taking in the unease on my face, before widening slightly.

"Your face-" he says alarmed, his hand coming up to touch the small scar that was forming near my temple, a souvenir of the unlikely events of today. However, before his fingers can gently graze the scar, I push his hand away, perhaps more harshly than I intended to.

"I'm fine, don't worry about it" I mutter, bile rising up my throat at the memory of what just occurred and my eyes beginning to sting as I take in Alec's wounded and soft eyes. He lowers his hand as if burnt, gnawing on his lip momentarily, as if unsure what to say.

"Look, Camilla, what I said-"

"I need to talk to Clary, excuse me" I interrupt swiftly, abruptly lowering my gaze and pushing past Alec, not giving him the time to recover and attempt to talk to me again.

I wasn't mad at him, not really. I understand what he said was out of anger and even though It hurt me, I can relate to his feelings of helplessness.

But I can't look him in the eye without feeling and remembering the horror that I just endured and I don't know if I can face Alec finding out right now.

I don't want him to look at me any differently.

I push forward and stop beside Clary and Izzie, watching with bated breath as Maryse steps forwards on the landing, immediately silencing the murmuring crowds.