(42) The Wedding

"A couple more steps

"A couple more steps. We're almost there!" Izzy says excitedly, her voice going up a few octaves indicating that she probably had the biggest smile etched across her face. I on the other hand was not as thrilled.

I don't trust Izzy to make sure nothing bad happens when I can see.

Never mind when I'm blind folded.

"You trust me, don't you?" She asks, a chuckle emitting from her lips as her hands grip tighter onto my forearm, steering me to the left before she stops.

"No, not really." I scoff, smiling, "Now, I told you, I don't need a bachelor party."

"You need this one." She argues, adamantly, " Now, count to five and take your blindfold off." I sigh quietly in reply, but moments later do as she says, my fingers coming up and swiftly undoing the silk over my eyes. I blink several times to adjust to the harshness of the light, and look around expectantly, though the room looks exactly the same as it always did.

And no one was in here.

"Seriously?" I exasperate, before turning towards the door fast enough to catch Jace's sombre figure as he saunters in and immediately the air thickens.

"Izzy said you wanted to talk." Jace states, his eyes staring keenly at me. There was still a lot of anger and distrust between us, and despite being parabatai we could barely look each other in the eyes.

"I don't know what she thought I wanted to say." I mutter, my face stoic and emotions yielding, my stubbornness like a brick wall, sturdy and resilient.

"Great." Jace scoffs, shaking his head in disbelief, "I guess I'll go. I've got work to do anyway." He murmurs out harshly, before turning on his heels and stepping to leave. I turn away from him, feeling remorseful and angry at how everything had become, yet unable to stop him leaving.

Even though I did want to stop him.

"Damn it, Izzy." I hear Jace mutter, his feet halting in place.

"You know what? She's right. We do need to talk." He expresses loudly, making me swiftly face him, my brow raised in surprise but also the weight falling off of my shoulders, since deep down I was glad that he had decided to stay.

"Okay." I sigh, before folding my arms over the other, "Well, it's my bachelor party, so you go first."

"I don't know how things got so messed up between us. But I do know my life has been a lot harder not having you to talk to." He states, a sincere and uncharacteristically glum frown across his face, one that shows clearly how our separation has hurt him.

And it's been hurting me too.

"Mine, too." I mumble, nodding my head in agreement.

"I know it seems like I've been making a lot of crazy choices lately. And I know you think that I was only thinking about myself... and Clary" He states, hesitantly referencing Clary, almost as if I might explode at the mention of her name.