(19) I can't

The harsh light of the weapons room felt heavy against my skin, the currency almost burning against me, making my insides scorch

The harsh light of the weapons room felt heavy against my skin, the currency almost burning against me, making my insides scorch. Though maybe the lights had nothing to do with it, maybe my skin and body had felt pained and on fire ever since she left.

It has been two days.

Two days of radio silence, no one knew where she was, who she was with or if she was ok, but we all were on edge, worried and scared for her, yet we all knew that searching for her would be useless.

She hated us.

She hated me.

Though, we all definitely deserved it.

I push away the solemn feelings of guilt and regret as I work on my arrows, my eyes narrowed and gaze sharp as I draw numerous runes over the slick and strong arrow heads. My hands attempting to release pressure, but from the numerous broken and splintered arrows tossed uselessly at my side, I could tell my self-restraint wasn't working.

Sighing exhaustedly, I eventually give up, the number of arrows that are still intact were decreasing by the second and the entire thing was draining me even more than I already was.

I'm pulled out of my anger and fatigue once I hear the sound of a female voice resonating from the training room. I quickly realise who it is and heave a sigh of annoyance, before quickly packing my equipment away and exiting the weapons room.

I couldn't avoid my mother forever.

"Mother." I call, monotonously.

"Welcome back. We didn't expect you." I say, my face remaining indifferent as I reach her, wrapping my arms loosely around her in a short and unaffectionate hug.

Not that I expected any differently.

"You should be prepared, whether you expect me or not." She says pulling away, her voice equally as dreary as my own, whilst her eyes judgmentally train over Clary, Izzy and Jace.

"I am. We are." I defend, already feeling substantial annoyance at how disappointed she already looks. "We'll talk about the Institute later." She replies with a sigh, her tone implying that there was much to talk about. "Right now, we have a bigger problem." She heaves, her expression souring as she eyes us, accusation in her eyes.

"The Seelie's have stopped communicating with the Clave and won't explain why. My guess is they're still upset we asked them to send scouts to look for Valentine, but no one in their realm will talk." She says explaining, as she walks circles around us, her back straight and arms tucked backwards, whilst she inspects us, scrutinising our reactions.

God knows what she thinks we did.

"I have Seelie friends." Izzy says, hope in her eyes that mother may actually see her contribution as important, but by the sharp gaze my mother was giving Izzy, she didn't seem to approve.