(45) Right Choices

I stalk through the bustle and chaos of the institute, my cheeks warming and stomach clenching as I knowingly ignore the whispers and stares that cling to me as I pass by

I stalk through the bustle and chaos of the institute, my cheeks warming and stomach clenching as I knowingly ignore the whispers and stares that cling to me as I pass by. The guests at the wedding and other members of the institute ogle at me, whether it's in disgust or astonishment, I can't tell, but still I feel their judgement all the same.

I can't blame them for staring and whispering, this was probably the biggest scandal they've had in years.

I huff out a breath of annoyance, mentally calming myself, trying to focus on what I needed as I scanned over my surroundings. Lydia was nowhere to be found, after the wedding she kind of just disappeared and Alec and I didn't want her leaving without us getting to talk.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to talk to us, she'd already given us more than we deserve.

Sighing, my sapphire eyes skim over the main entrance, though I don't see that blonde streak of hair anywhere. As I turn back to meet back with Alec, I notice Maryse and Robert stood near the computer panels, a heavy and intimate discussion occurring between the two of them.

Logic told me to walk away, but my heart couldn't give up the hope of peace and of blessing from Alec's mother.

Nothing good could come from starting a new relationship with a guy whose mother hates you.

With trembling hands and knocking knees, I walk towards Maryse, and as she notices my hesitant figure step closer, the conversation stops and her severe gaze snaps to me. She waits, expectantly, stoically.

"Mrs Lightwood" I start, my voice shaky, "I was wondering if you have spoken to Lydia since the- wedding?" I ask, internally wincing as her face hardens further at the mention of the wedding. I stand there, stupidly, waiting as she stares ahead at the panel before her, completely ignoring me.

"Maryse" Robert hisses, a scolding tone to his voice. I glance at him and feel myself relax at the small and sympathetic smile he throws my way.

At least Alec's dad doesn't hate me.

"I know that you probably don't think very highly of me, Mrs Lightwood-"

"Highly of you?" She exclaims lowly, turning her sharp eyes towards me, a bitter scoff escaping her lips "Camilla, I do not know you- but it's hard to think highly of the girl who has just ruined my son's life and my families reputation".

She is not making this easy.

"With all due respect, I did nothing" I start, not stopping as she tries to interrupt me, "I gave Alec a choice, if he had told me to leave at the wedding I would have but I needed him to know he had that choice... because god knows you never gave him one" I say, maintaining a level of courtesy, though I can't help but allow my true feelings to seep through.

Maryse grimaces deeply, shaking her head at me "Choices ruin people, they ruin reputations, no matter how pure of heart your intentions may have been, the choice you gave Alec has resulted in the entire family facing consequences." Her voice quietens to a mere growl, disappointment and futility edging into her words.