Devil Seir II

''Everything is all right Aisha, your brother will return soon..." Nicholas stopped in his tracks as he saw that Abram was bleeding from his shoulders. Aisha stood up and walked towards him. Nicholas stood still. They were in what was one of their many hideouts, the run-down remains of an office building, illuminated only by a fire kept alive by thrown away wood and paper. He had gone and taken around a path, hoping to keep the devil off their track for long enough.

"There are more of those things every day...Argia really is a cursed city." Aisha complained as she looked for whatever emergency supplies they still had left, just barely enough, but it was hard to know what the claws of a devil could do to a man, and she knew it as she desperately tried to get a hold of some bands and alcohol. They knew barely anything about medicine, but doing this at least kept them alive.

''That was still too damn crazy. W could have helped him too? Maybe if we both had... "'' Nicholas came close to the light of the fireplace as she tried to do what he could with her wounds and calmly rejected her words by shaking his head.

''Never mind that... did you both manage to find something to eat?" She asked him.

"Well, we put stuff in our mouths, I guess. Our latest excursion wasn't in vain. We managed to scram enough money for a few more days.'' Nicholas sighed as the topic changed.

''These demons, I don't get it. What is the point of summoning anything like that if you just end up like an animal and then just infest the streets like a vermin?" Aisha screamed as she threw the alcohol while Abram groaned trying to hold on to the pain. Neither of the two of them thought his wound was getting any better.

''Most people that summon demons don't end up turning into thralls, only the stupid ones do.''Nicholas threw a newspaper to keep the flames going a little longer.

''You are already stupid as hell for summoning one.''Aisha sat down on the floor in front of her brother, the tiredness of all that running coming back to her again.

''Big deal, even if you don't turn into a thrall, there is always a price to pay." Abram arrived and left his coat to the side as he tried to recover his breath. He was hungry, but he knew that if they didn't offer any food, there probably wasn't any left. They both stared at him with concern, but he seemed to be in good shape and with nothing missing.

Nicholas sat as well in the middle, and the three of them remained around the fire that kept the darkness of the city at bay.

''What a show, taking on a thrall all by yourself. It seems you can handle anything, Abram. It is just like that time we got surrounded by the wolf pack gang. Tell me is that demon really out of our backs now?

''I think someone shot at it, I have no clue who did it, I was already running as far as I could by then. Honestly, all I managed to do was get myself horribly wounded. There is no fighting a demon, those things don't ever die. "

''But you can die, so please don't do anything that dumb again. We really can't keep going like this...'' Abram had his throat dry and could only nod at his sister's words.

''We are not going to make enough money to get out of the creek district at this rate. It would be easier if we could at least get the protection of a gang or something. Not the wolves though, not after what happened. " Nicholas interjected with a tired tone of voice.

''Their leader already made a pact with a demon. We wouldn't be any safer. They would just force us to work for them. Same for all the other gangs fighting for scraps in this district. We need to find a way to live somewhere else, in a safer part of town... else I think our luck is going to run out, we all know that. "'' Nicholas didn't seem to find her reply any more convincing and Abraham was just too tired to even argue.