Demon Vepar III

The tunnels of the worm's nest were a truly unwelcoming place. Not only was the only entrance through the sewer system, but there was barely any light to speak of the unbearable smell. Nonetheless, the team of hunters had managed to make their way towards the inner center. The guard had camped far above the only entrance in a tall water gate room with shipping houses stacked on top of each other. The worms, all dressed in brown raincoats, started shooting down at the intruders, who could barely hide within the corners of the entrance below and were perfectly positioned to spot anyone moving forward, let alone climbing towards their leader's home at the top of the massive water gate.

But the fog was rolling in, and their easy targets were engulfed by it. The worms couldn't see their enemies, despite having complete control of the high ground.

"I see why they sent Mr. Abram alone; no matter how good the captain was, there was no way we could reach their boss without casualties."Jack and his twin used the cover of the fog to rush inside even while bullets hit the ground near them. They managed to position themselves behind one of the houses below.

"I can't hit anything in this fog., anything!" Hunt was getting tired of the situation, and it appeared that Aurora's teammates were far more accustomed to it than they were. Acting so rashly was very rare in their squad.

"We don't need to; just give the new captain a chance to backstab the witch and we'll be out; I'm perfectly content just keeping my head down; the damn demons should just do their damn job."Jack opened fire with his rifle on the cover above them and quickly ducked back as he was shot down in response.

OK, they're right; I'll keep my head down now. The two of them remained there, only shooting every so often to keep the enemy on their toes.

On the other side of the entrance, another group had taken cover behind a huge pipe drain. Luis, the brown-haired soldier, looked at a long ladder in front of him. He tracked it with the scope of his rifle until he saw a guard standing on a catwalk, then fired while licking his lips.

"Now that there's an unprotected ladder, do you want to take a chance and hit them from behind?"Luis looked at Aya behind him. The short woman was holding her rifle as she remained stoic behind cover. "We don't need to take any chances.

"All right, give me some cover and I'll handle it; the fewer of them there are, the safer it is for everyone; we need to let the rest of the team infiltrate this area."

"You never get it. Fine, I'll follow; if I don't, you'll screw everything up on your own, as you always do. "He laughed and rushed forward towards the ladder. She kneeled near it and pointed her weapon above to confirm there was no one looking down. She gave him a signal with a wave of her hand, and he quickly started to climb the ladder as fast as he could with the rifle strapped to his back.

Aya waited, and when he finally landed above, he took cover in the same cover their enemies used, and shot the first coated figure he saw, before waving to Aya below, who quickly started climbing the ladder as well, under the cover of the dense fog.

Abram could hear the gunfight behind him. He had taken care of climbing the ladders and moving between enemy lines. He had kept his hand steady to not attack a single guard even while wishing he could reduce the danger to his team, but the best approach was to cleanly finish the job as fast as possible. Because of that, he only took two more lives, the lives of the guards in the worm queen's chambers. He had stabbed one man through the chest and threw a knife with inhuman force to take down the other one at the exact same time. The mist had followed him and now began to creep inside the room of his target from below the door.

''Here goes nothing,'' Abram whispered as he opened the door. It was disappointing to be so obvious, but there was no other entrance to the room. He quickly walked to the side of the wall as the mist covered the floor. He could see only a single desk, what seemed to be a lot of collapsed stones, and an old cloaked figure sitting alone in the middle of the room.

''Who is there? I can barely see. "''Abram was already standing by the side of her chair, dagger in hand, expecting a demon summoner to react more strongly to his presence, but it was possible that the old lady had lost her sense of smell by now, so he didn't pay much attention to her carelessness.

He stabbed her in the heart quietly and fast, the most direct way to kill a demon in a single move. He closed his eyes as he did not see it directly.

"I'm sorry, but this is how things are...''He saw her expire. It was the second time he had taken a life this way. It wasn't as scary now, he could only assume, because this person was a complete stranger, but he still felt a bitter feeling as he took off his knife. Her body suddenly shook and he stepped back. From underneath the hood, a long white snake-like head began to stretch out. It had a long circular mouth and no eyes. From below her raincoat, the long body of the snake stretched, raising her body from the ground. The body was strapped to the demon-like a puppet with cut strings.

"Yes, the worm queen is dead."The woman spoke, her voice distorted as it came from a wide mouth surrounded by teeth. Abram was tense as he prepared his knife.

''This body belongs to Vepar, assassin.'' Something had kept her alive for longer than it should have, but now the thing that had crawled out of her was screeching with an inhuman roar of its own.

''Guess... killing her won't be enough....''Abram arranged his cap as he looked at the massive mouth above him.