Interlude I: Turning point

"Where did the other man run to? Answer us! " The city guards were pointing their guns at Aurora. Now that all the devils were dead and rotting, she was the only monster still present in their eyes. The hunters in black suits aimed their weapons back at a strand of hair. They were outnumbered, but they had a lot more confidence in winning against an army of tired old people whose leader never came to them.

"Now that doesn't concern you all, the fight is done. We took down that worm for you lot, so just lower those guns and let us march. We have no need for any more victims. " Aurora threw her gun. It was empty already and she had no blade at hand either. Still, her voice showed the clear arrogance of someone who felt no fear. None of these men could ever kill a demon summoner. It was clear from their shaking hands and frightened gazes that they were already at the breaking point. They had seen too much and way too fast.

''You stay here and wait for Mr.Collins.'' Aurora smiled at the guard's answer. His hands were shaking as he aimed the gun at her.

"No, we are leaving. Our job here is done, now excuse us, gentleman.''

''They came to kill the demon. They are the demon hunters, they were the ones who killed the snakes and the wolves, they must be here to help us!''One of the guardsmen screamed excitedly, but their leader, an old man with a burned sacar on his face screamed back at him, making him shut up.

"If they are demon hunters, they must have come for Mr. Collins!" As soon as the leader of the squad said that the small guard suddenly aimed their guns again with a stoic hand. They knew that something was happening to stop Rush Collins from coming. He was a man who always took the front line in every fight.

"Haha, no need to worry, we only needed the life of the worm today, so let's all walk our own paths now. You have a lot to clean up in this little town, right?" Aurora's expression and voice changed as she opened her arms and walked forward. Her red eyes opened wide and the guard clearly saw there was something uncanny about her and tensely reloaded their weapons. The hunters prepared their weapons as well. Only Aurora could give herself the luxury of being careless. As they remained on a stand, still not wanting a fight to go on, another person approached them.

''Behind you!'' There was one more hunter who was finally coming back to the area. Aya had finally come back from within the barricade at the side of the guardsmen. The black-haired woman seemed out of it. Even when the panicking guard in front of her turned back and shot at her in desperation, she barely reacted.

Aya fell down as she was pushed back. Aurora had covered the distance between them. She had clearly seen it: a gunshot that killed one of her subordinates, followed by a barrage of bullets.It was a bloody mirage, and so she jumped so it would never come to pass, taking a gunshot to her chest to stop it from reaching Aya.

"Everyone stand still, don't shoot back! " The twins looked at each other and lowered their weapons again. All the hunters in black were clearly upset, but they refrained from moving a muscle.

"Leave, just leave this place, but if anything happens to Mr. Collins, we will hunt you bastards down! " Their leader screamed, after seeing that woman take a shot and look at them as an animal would do to a prey item. He could tell she was not a demon they could risk-taking on by themselves.

"Very well, if you bastards need to find us, you can go to our tower... " Aurora put her hand on Aya's shoulder as she looked into the white tower in the distance.

"If you need a demon to be killed, just call us and we will come."

***

Is that really the labyrinth is even bigger from up close? " The hunters had retreated towards the tower. The massive white building was at the top of a fortress, with long white walls stretching from side to side. It was easily bigger than the stadium, the greatest landmark in the district. All of the hunters were confused and yet excited. They couldn't believe such a thing could be built in a single moment.

"The Minotaur has devoured many demons now. His power has grown and so has the labyrinth. "Too bad this means people can see the base from afar. " Aurora was being helped to walk by Aya. They had removed the bull, but even she was already too exhausted to just walk off a bullet like that. The hunters were looking over the perimeter to see if any curious onlookers had gathered. A red-haired woman comes closer to the captain. She seemed more annoyed than awed at the sight.

"That is not great. People can come seeking revenge. " Deborah asked the captain, but she just laughed as her red-eye spun.

"Let them come. Anyone without a contract from the commander is going to have to venture into the labyrinth for real. If they go too deep, they might as well be at our mercy. Minos is not kind to strangers, haha... agh " Aurora probably opened her wounds, so the demon retreated from her, letting her human self deal with all the pain.

"Does that mean the labyrinth has expanded downwards as well?" Aya broke the silence.

''Yes, that it did. We can probably go beyond the city walls now. " Everyone stood around her in silence, all of their faces mixed with very different expressions, from concern to join to even anger. Aya closed her eyes as she stood still to ponder.

"That is the real hunting ground. You are all going to hunt in the city now, right? " Aurora lifted her arm from Aya's shoulder, wanting to keep walking by herself.

"Yes, we are going there just as the commanders promised, so I guess it is time for all of us to agree now. You will all have a chance to live in the city, but we are going to war with the grand families and the capital itself. Do you all get it? We are going to a battlefield unlike anything seen can compare to. " They all knew it. They had been asked to go to war with the last bastion of humanity. Almost none of the hunters gave an answer, leaving Aurora in silence.

"I think. This is as far as I would go. I have seen enough demons. I don't need to see a city full of them. "' Aya spoke, ripping at the silence, and Aurora looked back at her with a bitter expression.

''I guess you have done enough hunts to get your retirement approved, but you will be missed for sure. I can't blame you after what happened with Luis, but as your captain, I can't help but be annoyed, you know? "

"Be annoyed, captain, I think I got it. Luis took a mortal wound for me... and it made me realize we were nothing alike. I could never do the same. All I really wanted was a long life, a stable one, and I never thought I could achieve it. If we go any further, I know I will run away someday." Aurora clapped, her wound already closed again.

"Right, in that case, you will remain in the labyrinth on guard duty. Now as for the rest of you, make your choices with care. Once we open the doors to the city, there will be no coming back." Aurora walked towards the entrance of the tower; a massive gate opened wide. The hunters began to follow her, each stuck in their own thoughts. Aya looked at the tower above, its massive size easily matching the collapsed skyscrapers that adorned the district.

"I never cared much for that grand city, but a tower like this should be a safe enough home. I won't regret coming here, captain." She followed the rest of them into the tower and the grand labyrinth below it. She was sure all of the drifters and wanderers of the outskirts would see that tower and venture towards it as well.