Devil Marchosias I

"I never thought the snake boss could be wiped off the map so easily; They're going to be moving out of the city borders and into the wasteland now." The snake's nest is just a ruin now, for god's sake! " Rush Collins had a concerned expression on his face. Abram came to the bar again just to gather some snippets of information for the day. It wasn't hard for the topic to come back to the snakes, not after their leader was assassinated in the middle of the day.

'''Now those are some good morning news. Abram raised his drink to the bartender with a sly smile.

"I received an anonymous call from someone telling me that now was the best time to rescue everyone in the snake nest. I was skeptical, but after sending some scouts to confirm it, the citizen guard moved in. "They really are in shambles. Apparently, they were attacked by demons in black suits. I wonder if they made the call? That is strangely nice for a bunch of demons. " Abram smirked at his words.

"I guess they wanted to give you all a hand? Maybe they are some self-proclaimed heroes or something. "

"I'm not sure. This hardly fixes the problem, and it is not like our city has the resources to care for the slaves properly. Besides, even the snakes will be engulfed in infighting for now, but they are hardly done for. The snake has many heads and one of them may end up being worse than the last. Still, I would love to raise a toast to Mr. Park's death. "

"Count me in, boss. " Abram found his reaction a lot less exciting than he expected, so he couldn't help but sigh, but quickly tried to hide his disappointment. " The two of them clashed their glasses, as did some of the other customers, as there had been an increase in the number of people at the bar recently.

"I wonder about one thing though. Now that the snakes are gone, what are the wolves doing? There is no one blocking them from taking over the whole district now. " Abram asked him to change the topic as best he could.

"Hold on there, friend, I'm still here with my guys, you know?" There was a burst of laughter, but he quickly spoke in a solemn tone.

''Right, you did fight the wolves off before. Good to see you are still very confident, Rush.

"Well, there is still only so much the city guard can do... I expect them to surround the city soon, even more than before. Fortunately, they are also having a leadership dispute, so it may take a few months for them to move, unless their current leader keeps their seat, that is. " Abram raised his empty glass again and Rush quickly served him another shot.

"So they change leaders every year? "

"Apparently, the demon the wolves summoned demanded that its contractors have a battle to the death with another human once a year, and if the other person wins, they get to make a contract with the demon, so their leader changes fairly frequently. I think a woman named Petra is the current leader. They have survived two years already, but they are about to have another rite. '' Rush Collins was quite displeased with the topic, Abram could feel he must be keeping an eye on that ritual more than he led on.

"That is not a very loyal demon. I never heard much about the demons they summoned. Do you know anything about that thing? "

"It's a huge wolf with wings. That's all I know about it really, but I don't think anyone wants to fight something like that straight up, especially since it's huge. Still, their contractor is human enough, so if you're clever, you can take down the owner and leave the pup on its own. I almost managed it myself, but it really cost me and my men far too much. "Abram could relate. They got into a fight with the wolves once, with Nicholas, but at the end of the day, they never came for them... He was thankful for that every night.

"I wonder if the reason they left us alone was due to their leader dying and that the new one just didn't care about us." Abram drank his glass empty once more.

"Yeah, that was probably what happened. This Petra must be quite something to have killed the last wolf. i speak from experience. He was a wild one. I almost feel a bit bitter I would never get to beat him up myself now, but if Petra doesn't come to our city, I'd rather not deal with her, I rather not get on a fight if I can help it. " Abram left a pretty generous tip and got ready to walk away.

"Don't worry about a thing, no one is dumb enough to take on you, Mr.Rush. "

"Hahaha, if only that were true. Keep an eye out there kid, things could get weird at any moment now. "

Abram stood outside the bar, feeling rather unsure at the moment as he walked through the dark alleys.

Abram finally saw a figure standing in the dark and beckoning him forward. A tall man wearing a black suit with a blue tie stood below a lamp post.

"You got any useful information from your friend there, Mr. Abram. " Mr. Cao was a tall man of Chinese descent, a middle-aged but a well-kept man, tall and slim, but with an imposing figure nonetheless. He wore a monocle and had, in general, a rather serious expression, but his voice at that moment seemed to mock Abram more than anything.

"Their boss and someone else in their gang are about to fight each other to the death, You say? He raised an eyebrow and waited for Abram to continue.

''The demon apparently likes to see who wins and joins them on a contract every year. I think they lost their powers during the fight as well. " Cao crossed his arms and smirked.

"Oh, they do? Really, that is amusing and a perfect opportunity for us to strike as well. Though that is extremely dangerous for the demon, a strange request indeed, I wonder if there is some strange ideology behind it; the demon must despise the idea of serving someone who is not traditionally strong on their own merits. How amusingly old-fashioned. "'' Abram shrugged as they both walked together in the night of the city.

"Well then, I will make my move as soon as this rite begins. You can skip this one out. Ms.Aurora is yet to be ready to start our next operation after all. "

"You sure? Can you really handle a demon like that all by yourself? " Cao closed his hands together in a loud clap.

"Yes, of course, I'm the oldest veteran here. Compared with all that I have seen, a mere wolf with wings is nothing. "

"Well, you certainly don't lack confidence, Mr. Cao."The two of them disappeared in the middle of the street, returning once more to the depths of the underground.