Interlude III Mission debrief

''Let us recap then, it seems the situation is escalating by the minute." Commander Emilia has requested all three captains to their command tent. Abram hasn't been here since the first day he met the commander. The old lady seemed particularly upset today but kept her voice low.

''The demon the queen had is Vepar. It has appeared in the city before on our records. In a similar way to my Phenex, it's a demon contract that is only fulfilled when the contractor dies. That allows it to manifest permanently in our world. This demon then proceeds to give a host to its children. You can consider it a disease and, like any disease, it will naturally try to expand. "'' Mr.Cao looked at his report. He had already provided a copy to Abram and Aurora, the only other people present in the room.

''Now that is some bad luck. There was no accounting for that. You took the right call in running. Every one of the worms was already infected. It did suck for Luis, I liked that guy.''Aurora looked at Abram, who, as always, kept his thoughts to himself.

''Sorry about that, I wasn't even able to finish the hunt.'' He said bitterly as he lowered his cap.

''This was our fault as well. You can only do so much with so little intel. That said, there is much to consider. This is a demon that has only been summoned to the city. The worm queen must have made a deal with someone inside. It is likely that they gave her a gate as well. If so, this is a perfect demon to silence her and her people. "

''I see, those monsters can't speak about what happened there. This was intended so whoever gave the demon to the worm queen was no ordinary person, even when speaking of city folk."Emilia slumped back into her chair.

''What I want to know is if we are going to try to kill that demon again?''Abram asked her, he couldn't help but feel responsible for whatever was happening, even if it was beyond his control.

''Hunting it down may require all of us, but even then, the situation is only getting worse by the minute. My scout has predicted the demons and their thralls will be arriving at center city in a few hours. If they do, the entire city could turn into hell itself. " Aurora passed some photos showing the white monsters and even a photo of the snake-like demon on the outskirts.

''Isn't something like this way too dangerous for even those anti-demon corps bastards to ignore?'' Abram asked all of them as he looked at the photos. He was feeling a knot in his throat while staring at the photo. They really were going to the outskirts of town and there were just so many of them.

''They can wipe it out for sure. This is nothing for them, but by the time they bother to do so, the center city won't exist any longer. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. It is a town built upon ruins and ruins. New people will come to try to get to the city and a new town will be built again. "'' Emilia spoke coldly and the captains remained quiet.

''...I think there is at least one person in that town that will refuse to let that happen. What about the citizen guard? "'' Abram asked them and Aurora quickly threw him a photo. It showed Mr.Rush still in his bartender outfit walking on the streets with dozens of armed men.

''This was taken a few minutes ago. They are preparing to make a barricade to keep the demons away, I doubt they will get anything done with so little though, not without help anyway.'' Aurora sat down looking back at Abram, anxiously holding the photo of them.

''We will have to be that help then, Captain Cao and Captain Aurora, you both lead your squads to take down Vepar. Work along with the guard if you have to. For this operation, every hand will be on deck. We can't allow the anti-demon corps to be deployed, because it will only make things worse for us. "Emilia smiled as she looked at the photos and put her cane over the photo of the demon Vepar.

''Swee, that means I'm getting a chance to speak with Vepar. It has been a while," Aurora spoke in a happy tone, already changing consciousness for her demon half, Mr. Cao simply nodded.

''So what about me? Do I wait to strike or something?'' Abram asked the commander, who looked back at him with a piercing gaze.

''Useless, your power will be of no help against Vepar. Your role will be a different one. While the majority of the guards are busy, you will sneak into the town and assassinate their leader, Rush Collins. This is the best moment to do so while his men are away. "''Abram punched the table.

''Are you serious? There is no reason to go after Rush. He is not a criminal. He's not a danger to anyone... "

''But he summoned a demon. Are you forgetting that we hunt demons? Whatever the reason for their summoning has never been our concern, Mr.Abram, as expected, your little chats with the man were more than information gathering. " Cao interrupted him swiftly before the commander had any need to speak.

''Hehe, you sure we can divide our forces this way, boss?'' Amii asked the commander. The old woman nodded.

''Mr. Abram works better alone and his powers can't hide him from that demon. He can handle someone like Rush if he plays it smart, besides. "'' Commander Emilia hit the floor with her cane.

''If you don't want Rush to die, try and recruit him, just like you. That is the only way we will let him live, though I thought he would kindly listen to you.... "''Mr.Cao, Miss Aurora, if Mr.Abram here refuses to do his job, hunt him and his friends down when all is done." "'' The two of them agreed with a nod, Abram's fist was shaking, but slowly he calmed down with a tired look.

''I get it...I doubt a man as proud as him will just accept that, I guess I'm gonna have to fight him without holding back if I don't want to get destroyed. "

''Mr. Abram, if someone can convince him to listen to us, it is only you. If I send anyone else, it can only end in death. Am I being clear? "

''Cristal clear, I won't die. If I can't convince him, I will hunt him down. That is just my rotten luck as always. "Emilia laughed at his bold claim.

''In that case, everyone get ready. This will be our last hunt in this district. You are all dismissed. "'' Cao gave a slight bow and walked away, Aurora waved as she followed him, giving a back pat to Abram before leaving. Abram stood up, still looking at Emilia with discontent.

''You will make the right choice, Mr.Abram. I will bet on it but don't forget out there what we are. We are no heroes, just a cold pack of assassins. " Abram tipped his cap without saying anything as he walked away. The commander remained alone at the desk. She closed her eyes and heard a distant growling.

''Minos is growing stronger... and coming closer... everything is almost ready now.''Emilia fell asleep in that quiet darkness as she mumbled to herself.