Interlude II:Devil Sabnock file 01

Rush Collins still felt utterly exhausted. He had been in intensive care for more than a day now. Even though he was a demon summoner, his regenerative capabilities weren't that impressive, he was very much as close to death as one could get. It was sheer stubbornness that allowed him to be alive here and now in an empty and cold jail. He thought of summoning Sabnock and breaking his way out, but he knew that the strain could still kill him. It was not the time yet. The people who kidnapped him left him to rest on a bed now that he didn't need constant care; there was no point in chaining him up, after all, Sabnock could eat any steel that tried to chain his owner.

The door to the jail opened and three people stepped into the jail where he was sitting down against the wall. One of them was Abram, who hid most of his face under his cap, still not daring to look at Rush in the eyes. Another was a rather elegant Asian man he didn't particularly care for. The last one was an old woman in a white military uniform. Her attire alone made it clear she was above the other two in rank and importance.

''Mr.Collins I'm glad we got the chance to speak in person. You can call me Emilia for now. I'm the leader of the devil hunters. I'm sorry I came into your city without proper warning, but our job demanded it so. "She had an eye patch and a scar underneath it, Rush had to wonder if she had a demon or if that wound was already ancient. She spoke formally with a horse tone. Rush put his arm over his knee, still unwilling to get up.

''You have a lot of nerve to show your face to a demon summoner like that granny, especially since you sent a goddamn assassin for me, I take it you want me to join your bloody army too?''

''I would prefer it, yes, but if we can't agree, both of these gentlemen will have to kill you, is nothing personal. What we want is the life of the demon in your arm." The old lady certainly didn't show any concern about being in his presence, but the other two men were very tense, Abram, in particular, had his fist shaking. Rush looked at his nervousness and laughed at him.

''Killing Sabnock? Can you people really do that? It is impossible. It didn't matter what any of us did, every demon that died always returned.''

"Seir, Dokkaebi, Marchosias, even Vepar are gone now. The demon I made a contract with to consume them. They have returned to be myths, simple terrors in the minds of men, but nothing more. You must have a guess at least, seeing as how the snakes and wolves completely broke down this time.'' Rush finally stood up, helping himself with a hand against the wall.

''So if you kill me...Sabnock will be gone forever from this world? Is that what you are saying? ''

''Yes, that will be one less curse upon the world. If you amuse us and believe me for a moment, you should be able to understand what our burden is, why we need to hunt.'' Rush rested against the wall, looking at her with clear anger as he regained his breathing.

''Is this the tower? What is it that you people really want? I doubt you're all just doing this out of kindness? Abram said that what happened with Vepar was the city's doing, so I'm gonna take a wild guess here, that you lot are aiming for the city. Center was just on the way for you to get there like always.''

''Yes, the city is our enemy. The city of demons should, of course, be the target of any demon hunter. Demons are quite normal there and almost everything in that city follows their rules. The snakes and the worms, as vile as they were, remained essential for a city that needed human sacrifices to keep itself standing. Center town and the immigrants there had been their prey. "

''Huh, don't get all full of yourself. You guys killed some demons, but that won't help Center City. If what you are saying is true, you are going to war with Argia. That is just plain madness. Really, I received Sabnock as a punishment of sorts, since I gave them hell once when their guards came to town and got violent. They told me that if I could do a better job than they, I had to prove it. Because of that, I got to see what a demon of the city can really do. They beat me up even with Sabnock, so I wouldn't forget it. If they wanted Center gone, they could exterminate it in a day, so I better behave. They didn't even need words to tell me that.'' Rush closed his left fist. His entire hand was full of scars.

''You saw the tower up above Mr.Collins? That is where we are now, a labyrinth in a fortress. This place I want to give to the people of Center. Would you be willing to cooperate if we help your town as well?'' Abram raised his head to look at Collins. He seemed confused with the statement for a moment.

''You mean to let people live in this fortress?''Emilia smiled, with satisfaction at his question, he already knew her answer.

''Yes, I'll give them walls and a roof for free. We are hunters, and your guard will keep them safe as well. This is a labyrinth born of my demon. Even the city will find it hard to threaten this place. But of course, what your town will do with its future will be up to you all. You see...I despise the city of Argia, so rather than begging for its favor, I want to build a city that can reject it on its own strength. Isn't that what you truly want as well Mr. Collins?"He crossed his arms, looking at her with clear anger.

''Rush, I think this will be for the best. Even if you don't trust us, hunters, that is even more of a reason for you to stick around. If you die here, no one will be there to protect your dear town, right? Try to bear it for now.''After all, that had happened, he was unsure if his friend would even speak back to him, but Collins just shrugged, annoyed. ''

"Arrgh, it sounds like I have a lot of work ahead, god damn it. You, people, do know that I probably don't have much time left to live, right? " Mr.Cao stepped forward.

''If I may, I already took a look at your state. You are under a curse so inevitable that your days are numbered regardless of any medical science, but I have a curse of my own, I can't keep you alive forever, but if I use my demon I can promise you at least five more years, although it will depend if you use your powers too much. Even my curse can't do any miracles.'' Mr. Cao created a flame in his palm.

''...Hahaha, so you guys will keep me alive for as long as I work for you lot. The way I see it, you are still no different than any warlord on the outskirts, I will help for Center, but if you people are a danger to my people, then....''

''Then I will face you again, old friend.'' Abram walked forward, still with his usual indifference and his hands in his pocket.

''You look so awful in a suit, you know? Fine, call this a truce for now, but only that.'' When Emilia shook his hand, Rush felt the strength of her grip and truly knew she too was a demon summoner.

''It is a truce then. Let's work together for as long as we can. We have the same enemy after all.'' With that, another deal was made. Its cost  yet to be seen.