Interlude II Cursed Karma

It has been a long, night. Heng and Laura had left the district for the first time in years, they both knew they had no place to argue not with a Triada chief inviting them herself. Heng and Laura were very from home they knew not where exactly or if they will ever leave but at least they remained together.

''I can't believe we had to leave Lee in that warehouse."Laura was holding her head with both arms they both were sitting in cold metal chairs in a dark lonely room. In a way, they were prisoners at least till they make their decision, to stay with the Triada or to leave and even then there was no telling if it was even a choice, to begin with.

''I'm sure the Triada will make the corpse disappear."Heng held her neck, ever since she had summoned that devil there was a wound all over her tin neck as if she had been strangled with a rope, but it was just that a sign of a devil's touch.

"I hate this, I just hate everything right now...he always said he didn't want a funeral, that it would be too expensive...but I can't stand to just left him rotting there."

"...Sorry this is all my fault, I should have protected her as my obligation as a devil, it has to be worth at least that much." Heng had her gloved hands on her tights, her fist was shaking. As tire, as she was it was her anger that refused to give in at all.

"No he died to protect me....im the one who screw up..." Laura had said that so many times now, Heng could only put a hand on her shoulder, nothing she told her could stop her from saying that over and over."

"There is no reason to blame yourself, it was the men who kill him that are the only ones to blame, it is that men that can ever be forgiven, now what we need to do is to focus on ourselves we are hardly safe at all." Heng looked around her the warehouse they had been put in was full of boxes and all sorts of furniture and expensive-looking displays, there was no doubt in her mind of what this building is.

"I'm sure of it this the great auction house, wealthies people in the city come here for all sort of rare trinkets some, ancient artifact from before the world ended...but its real purpose is to be the core of the city's devil auction, human sacrifices, and devil rituals can be bought here, none of the families can ignore this place, and that headless woman is in charge of this place."

"...I see, I heard rumors that there was a center of human traffic on the triada territory, but how do you know that?"Laura looked at Heng who was staring at the ceiling.

"Before I knew you I worked as a bodyguard here...not proud of it, but that is just how the cards play out, and that woman was my boss she let me go because I couldn't summon my demon anymore...but now I don't think she will not ever again, I was born in this auction house you know, my mom all I know of her is that she was merchandise here...so yeah this is my first home, welcome heh..." Laura had her hands over her mouth unsure what to say.

"We don't know who that assassin is, returning home is too dangerous, im sure she will tell us to stay here for protection, worse they only need me they could threaten you to convince me with ease, so I don't think I can even argue back...I think we will have to close out the agency...Laura, I don't even know if you can leave now, is too dangerous...everything is too dangerous and I'm not strong enough to protect you." Heng was shaking as she closed one of her fists against the other, she was finding it harder and harder to keep herself together.

"I will stay, whatever happens, I will never leave you alone." Laura stood up and looked at Heng from above, she reached out to touch her cheek.

"Lee told me to take care of you, and I will always do so. If you have to stay in this place to protect me I will stay to protect you ...we still have each other."

"Right...and if those assassins ever show up again, I will hang them, they will pay for their sins is the only way the two of us can ever be safe again...I guess it was silly for me to think I could have normal happiness, there is no escaping my karma I knew that one day I would be here again" Laura's expression soured but she quickly hugged Heng, they stayed there in the dark holding each swearing to never let go whatever happened.