Together or Not At All (True Ending)

It felt like I was in a long hallway, a timer counting down in front of me. College was right thru the door. A door was closing as the seconds came down slowly.

Long distance relationships fall apart!

This will never work!

She will pull you down!

You can't run with her!

It's you or her!

Forget about her!

Get rid of her.

Your education is much more worth it than this girl!

All these voices... They were right.

My education was much more important than her. I might lose her or fall in love if I leave. She'll be extra luggage. And long distance relationships don't work.

I stopped walking, looked at her and let go of her hand. She just stood there as I was able to pick up the pace and walk faster towards the exit.

One last glance and I could see tears falling from her eyes.

I kept running.

-----

I woke up with a jolt, no emotion however. I knew what I had to do.

I had to end this relationship.

~~~~

Four years later...

I end up coming back to take care of a few things, like my parents. I see her and she's holding the hand of someone else. His name was Danny, a bloke she met while teaching at a school we used to attend.

I got to talk to her again and we chatted about nothing. Fake smiles and laughter full of regret was all that came from the both of us.

Was this what I wanted four years ago? Was this the right decision? Did I make the worst decision of my life?

All I hope is that Danny doesn't make the same mistake I did and let go.

~~~~

I'm sorry if this brought back sad memories, that was not the reason I wrote this.

Of course there is a meaning, but you have to play or watch someone play the game.